Everything you know as a Mizzou journalism student

The teachers are dreamy

Before you decide to apply to the University of Missouri’s state-of-the-art school of journalism, you should be fully aware that it is not for the faint of heart.

Many incoming freshman come into the school believing that it’s just an average degree with basic criteria. It sounds easy enough, right? Wrong.

There are no “off days”

Don’t expect a day where you won’t have any type of homework. In particular, the readings are highly important, and if you do not do them, you won’t understand what the professor is referring to during the lecture.

You most likely won’t end up with an impressive final exam grade either.

Your GPA is one of your golden tickets

If you are not a direct admit to the journalism school, you have some work to do. A 3.0 GPA along with at least 60 credit hours is required for admission.

You also need to apply to your preferred interest area. Keep an open mind about this because most areas are highly competitive. You may ending up changing your mind in the long run, or you may end up having to choose a completely different emphasis due to the competition levels.

Nonetheless, do your best, and you will get where you want to go.

J1100 is going to put you to sleep on most days

… But you still have to take it seriously.

The first strenuous journalism class you will have to complete is J1100. It’s taught by one main teacher and an intelligent entourage of TA’s. If you come into this class thinking that it is going to be a breeze, you’ll be unpleasantly surprised.

You’ll only get out of J1100 what you put into it. Luckily, the professors are extremely accommodating.

There will be at least one TA who everyone swoons over. The “McDreamy” of the J-School, if you will

Freshman females especially will become enamored with at least one of the male TA’s on the teaching team (i.e. Rick Morgan, J1100).

Even though your primary focus is studying, hormones will kick in, and you’ll find yourself occasionally drooling all over your Macbook. Never fear. It’s all part of the experience.

Don’t you wish there was The Bachelor-Mizzou J-School Edition?

Everyone tells you journalism is not a prosperous career path

Ignore the haters. Many uninformed people will enjoy telling you that people who get degrees in journalism essentially make no money. This idea, however, is false.

Yes, there are some graduates who end up with mediocre jobs, but due to the fact that the criteria for journalism has expanded to that of television personalities, creative directors, photographers, and so forth, jobs for people with journalism degrees can be found anywhere.

The key to success is getting your foot in the door while you are still in college.

You have to openly explore each emphasis area

You may decide that your talents are much more suitable for a different area of expertise. Who knows, you may come in thinking that you’re destined to be a strategic communicator, but soon find out that sports journalism is where your heart lies.

Every Mizzou journalism student knows this though – you’ll never know if you don’t review the options throughly.

Joining clubs which are centered around your interest area is a great way to make connections

In order to make it big someday, you must get your name out to the public. Even though you’re always swamped with homework, it’s always advisable to to take a break and focus your attention on something else for at least an hour a day. Who knows, you might meet your best friend there… or perhaps, a nice looking gentleman.

Always remember that being a student at the Missouri School of Journalism is a valuable and exceptional experience. Even if you discover that the career path isn’t for you, you will still benefit from the foundations and principles taught during the first semester. This degree takes every student in a different direction. Once you find yours, you will never look back.

Mizzou: University of Missouri