We asked Mizzou students what they think about campus hate crime

‘The best we can do is try and educate people’

After last year’s events revolving around hate crime at Mizzou, we thought the education we received would put it to an end.However, as racist comments and hate crime unravelled this week, University of Missouri police ended up at the Delta Upsilon frat.

There’s been a huge increase in tension across campus, largely between the Legion of Black Collegians and those in Greek life, so we asked students around Mizzou how they felt in light of these events.

Nick Allen, junior, broadcast journalism major 

“I think it’s unfortunate that Greek life has again been the source of systematic racism, as it is counter intuitive to the ideals of brotherhood they are supposed to uphold.

“This past week’s events are another reminder that racism is not gone.”

Sarah Allen, sophomore, psychology major

“The best we can do is try and educate people and keep these things from happening. The more we talk about it, the more understanding that will be spread.

“I think Greek life already has some bad stereotypes. I just think that Greek life is a really special experience and it’s great to be involved in it but when instances like this happen, it’s not helping anyone see that.”

Itohan Amayo, junior, communications major

“I feel like a lot of students don’t understand the seriousness of racism on our campus and nationally.

“Theres just a lot of historical elements to black history and some people on campus are unaware and don’t respect the black body as a whole.

“It’s very frustrating to hear about this again, another year. We’re all here for the same reason so we should respect each other.”

Heath Snider, junior, classics and economics major

“I was surprised. I assumed things couldn’t get worse or they wouldn’t happen as much. I just feel like there has been so much training for awareness that you wouldn’t expect it.”

Corbin Schmelig, junior, health science major 

“I was shocked at the blatant racism that is occurring on campus. I would’ve thought that college students would be more mature than that. We are adults.”

Angelina Kelly, senior, health science major

“It’s incredibly dumb.”

Alex Neumeier, freshman, journalism 

“We heard about all of the incidents last year and we thought it was at least taken care of, but it’s all happening again.”

Sean Jastal, freshman, animal science major

“You can’t do anything about it due to freedom of speech. It’s getting tiring because people want attention and are ignorant”

Olivia Huffman, sophomore, journalism major 

“It’s horrible that African American students still feel targeted and unsafe on campus especially after everything that happened last year. It’s obvious that changes still need to be made to ensure that all students feel safe, regardless of color.”

Erin Jones, sophomore, international business major

“I think they should get what they deserve. If they find evidence then DU should get shut down. The police should have done more.

“I get freedom of speech but hate speech is a whole different topic.”

Mizzou: University of Missouri