President Schlissel addresses racism on UMich campus

Schlissel sent out an email to the staff and student body following a violent protest

President Schlissel sent out an email last night to address the racist actions that have occurred on the UMich campus.

In the statement, he wrote that we started the year with "pride and pain." Though we may be happy to be back in Ann Arbor, Latino and African American members of the community have already been targeted.

Schlissel outlined how the university will take action to affected communities through LSA, the Dean of Student Office, and the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Their actions can be found here.

Schlissel also addressed the school last night outside the Union to address concerns as well. In his email, he stated "We heard anger and frustration in the voices of our students and we share that frustration and anger. Words and actions meant to hurt someone based on their identity have no place at the University of Michigan and we condemn them. We are committed to doing everything within our power to halt these disgraceful incidents."

In terms of the racist and violent actions, he encourages everyone to "contact U-M Police at 734-763-1131 if you have information that may help investigators determine who did this."

If you see anything else meant to target a specific group, you can report it here.

Schlissel ended his email by asking to work together as a community and support one another through these racist and malicious actions.

So let's do it – let's start working together to put an end to these actions. Let's start holding classmates, roommates and others accountable when they speak out of line. Let's remind everyone to respect one another. We're all equal adults on this campus and we need to treat each other as such.

University of Michigan