An ode to Hippie Hash, Michigan’s best college food

It’s officially Michigan’s best college drunk food

Life's simplest things are life's best things.

This is the calling song of the University of Michigan's top-rated college town food — Fleetwood Diner's hippie hash.

No, it is not complex, nor is it a culinary feat. But it is simple. It is greasy. It is cheap. And it is far enough away from campus that past its fluorescent blinking sign lies the most coveted and enigmatic potato dish.

Hippie Hash will never disappoint you. And maybe that's why it's also called 8th wonder of the world.

All signs point straight toward the holy grail of all Ann Arbor drunk food. Of all brunch food. Of all breakfast food. Of all food period. The ordinary hero of every late night or early morning. A genius creation, which is so simple its beauty is almost mind-boggling.

The marriage of potato, feta cheese, onion and everything else that is so bad and yet so good. In this troubled world, food has never looked so delicious. Save marriage – try shotgun wedding. Hippie Hash is hotter than a quickie in Vegas that ends with a dollar store ring on her finger. Hippie Hash is hotter than September sun beating down on the big house.

Hippie Hash is downright ravishing.

Brain food to some. Drunk food to most. The best food to all. If you want to burn the roof of your mouth in the most orgasmic way, well then Hippie hash is the move. If you want to learn to love yourself again? Hippie Hash. If you are looking to be mind blown? Hippie hash. If you are walking back from Cavern club alone after having the worst night of your life – Hippie Hash.

Most eggcelent diner in all of Ann Arbor ?? #michiganmunches #foodporn #eeeeeats #fleetwooddiner #annarboreats #universityofmichigan #eggs #weback

A post shared by JUST MUNCH (@just_munch) on Nov 11, 2015 at 9:26am PST

The fastest way to turn the worst night into best night of your life is sitting for 10 minutes in that little diner squatted in downtown Ann Arbor. As pristine as a chapel. Erect, quiet and unassuming. Awaiting college students to file in at 2 A.M. with a quiet, drunk haze across their flushed cheeks, awaiting a chance to see the light. To be brought to their knees. To look up to the sky and hail the sweet, sweet gods that created Hippie Hash.

To steal from the good Holy Book, "And on the 8th day of creation, God looked down on quaint little Ann Arbor, Michigan and he created hippie hash. Because he knew that the brave and fearless students of 2017 would need hash browns slathered in gooey feta cheese and sprinkled with passion and hope. Let there be light. God bless Jim Harbaugh. God bless hippie hash. Go blue." (Psalm hail:yes)

University of Michigan