Immigration agents went into a diner, ate breakfast and then detained three of the staff

‘If you’re at the wrong place at the wrong time, you can still be at risk’

Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers went into a Sava’s this week in Ann Arbor, ate breakfast and then detained three members of staff.

According to MLive, ICE agents were looking for one of the employees on Wednesday and unable to find them, questioned the kitchen staff. This conversation lead to them taking three workers to ICE’s Detroit office.

Sava’s owner, Sava Lelcaj responded to the situation, assuring MLive she preforms background checks before hiring employees. Lelcaj said she makes sure everyone has the correct documentation to work.

“It’s really sad,” Lelcaj said. “It scares the whole community. Today’s a great indication even if you have your documentation, and you’re at the wrong place at the wrong time, you can still be at risk.”

The entire situation was jarring to the Ann Arbor community, and those in the restaurant at the time. Lelcaj says she is ready to support her employees and make sure their documentation is recognized, so Sava’s can continue to uphold it’s family-friendly atmosphere.

University of Michigan