Michigan students aren’t accepting Sean Spicer’s apology

Every middle school student in America is taught about the Holocaust, but apparently Sean Spicer was sick that day.

On Tuesday, audible gasps were heard after White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said that Adolf Hitler “didn’t even sink to using chemical weapons” during World War II, comparing his actions with Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad’s recent use of chemical weapons on his own people.

Except he did. Every middle school student in America is taught about the Holocaust, but apparently Sean Spicer was sick that day.

The press in the room immediately challenged this by saying what essentially came out to be, “The Holocaust, bro.”

Spicer tried to clear this up by stating that “[Hitler] brought them into Holocaust centers, I understand that…[Assad] dropped them down to the innocent in the middle of towns.”

In addition to calling concentration camps “Holocaust centers,” he seemed to forget momentarily that everyone killed in concentration camps were also “the innocent.”

Sean, sensing that didn’t exactly go well for him, said this during a later interview with Wolf Blitzer: “My goal now and then is to stay focused on Assad and I should have. I realized that I had made a mistake and I didn’t want to be a distraction to the President’s agenda.”

On campus, Spicer’s comments have disgusted the Umich Jewish community, which is currently celebrating Passover.

One anonymous Jewish law student questioned, “Who can forget the phrase ‘concentration camp?'”

Senior Sociology major Rachel Goldstein expressed the frustration palpable on campus when she said, “Sean Spicer’s thorough misunderstanding of such basic historical facts is concerning and frustrating. By calling the death camps “Holocaust Centers,” he minimized the inhumanity of what occurred there. By saying that Hitler never used chemical weapons against the innocent, he is brushing over the millions of innocents that were killed. Anti-Semitic undertones aside, he should be embarrassed.”

She went on to lament, “Mr. Spicer’s comments hit especially close to home this week, as the Jewish community both celebrates Passover, which commemorates our liberation from slavery, and comes together to observe Holocaust Remembrance Day.”

As students celebrate Passover this week, Spicer’s comments are a grim reminder of what people of the struggles faced by people of Jewish faith.

University of Michigan