UM’s Professor Heather Ann Thompson wins Pulitzer Prize

Leaders and BEST at Michigan

On Monday, it was announced that the author of “Blood in the Water: The Attica Uprising of 1971 and its Legacy,” Professor Heather Ann Thompson from the University of Michigan, won the Pulitzer Prize for history. This award also comes with a $15,000 prize.

Thompson teaches classes in Afroamerican and African Studies, as well as history at the university. This work translates to her writing as her award-winning novel examines the abuse and resulting revolt of the prisoners in the Attica Correctional Facility (New York).

Some of Thompson’s other works include: “Speaking Out: Protest and Activism in the 1960s and 1970s,” “Why Mass Incarceration Matters,” and “How Prisons Change the Balance of Power in America.” Her work has also been nominated for the Best Media Award given by the National Council on Crime and Delinquency and she sits on the board of the Prison Policy Initiative.

All of the university is congratulating her and her stellar achievement. Professor Thompson again proves to the world that at Michigan, we are victors.

Featured image from http://heatherannthompson.com/.

University of Michigan