Jabrill Peppers to enter NFL draft

Say it ain’t so

Michigan junior Jabrill Peppers told Sports Illustrated Tuesday that he will be leaving Michigan to declare for the NFL draft. Peppers, who is rumored to be a finalist for the Heisman Trophy, has lead Michigan as one of the most versatile players in college football, playing 15 different positions in 2016.

Peppers is expected to be a first-round pick in the draft, where he will most likely enter as a safety and return specialist.

Peppers told Sports Illustrated that making the decision to leave Michigan was “one of the hardest things [he’s] ever had to do.”

“I’m choosing between cementing my legacy as a college player and starting my pro legacy,” Peppers said. He added that the decision was made this past weekend while visiting family in New Jersey, and that coach Jim Harbaugh has been supportive of his choice.

“[Harbaugh] molded me for the next level. That’s how he operates. He runs his team like an NFL team. He’s done more than enough to prepare me for this moment,” said Peppers.

With his speed and ability to deliver in all areas of the game, Peppers’ departure will likely mean a huge loss for the Wolverines, something we saw a glimpse of during the Orange Bowl, when the team struggled to maintain control on the field with both Peppers and, later, tight end Jake Butt absent due to injuries.

As Peppers takes his chances in the big leagues, Harbaugh will have to find a way to fill the gaps left behind next season.

University of Michigan