Former UMich student files motion to return to campus after alleged sexual assault

The female student has filed a breach of contract lawsuit to keep him from returning

A former University of Michigan student, who would’ve been a senior, has filed a motion to return to campus after being removed following a breach of the university’s sexual misconduct policy.

In January 2016, a female student claimed the man sexually assaulted her at his University of Michigan fraternity house. The man maintained that the sex was consensual, and initially university officials found that there was insufficient evidence to prove misconduct, but the woman appealed the decision. It was overturned, and the man was offered a resolution agreement, which would allow him to permanently withdraw from the university in lieu of being expelled.

Now, he has filed a lawsuit alleging a conflict of interest in the investigation, saying that a member of the appeals committee had a working relationship with the woman’s lawyer and her husband.

In response, the female student has filed a breach of contract lawsuit against the man in order to keep him from returning to campus.

“We have confidence in the decision reached by the appeals panel and we will respond through the appropriate court filings,” a university spokesperson said in a statement to Buzzfeed news.

University of Michigan