Vice presidential nominee Tim Kaine speaks at the Diag

‘We’re good at a lot of things, but electing women to office isn’t one of them’

On Tuesday, September 13th, Democratic vice presidential nominee Tim Kaine visited our own Michigan Diag to encourage students to vote for Senator Hillary Clinton.

Kaine spoke to a crowd of hundreds of supporters, Michigan students, Clinton fans and Trump protestors alike about his dedication to the Clinton campaign.

He spoke about his excitement to “make history” in running with the woman who could be America’s first female president.

“We’re good at a lot of things, but electing women to office isn’t one of them,” said Kaine. “It’s time to break that glass ceiling and show the world that inequality means inequality.”

Kaine went on to criticize Clinton’s opponent, Donald Trump, for insulting military families and for his divisive campaign strategies.

“Building walls and tearing up alliances will make us weak, not strong,” said Kaine, “and that’s why we need a strong president like Hillary Clinton.”

Kaine focused much of his speech on economic reform and income inequality, along with an issue that tends to resonate with college students, the rising cost of college tuition.

“This matters to us very, very personally,” Kaine said of the issue, citing a study which found that there is 39 billion dollars of outstanding student debt in Michigan alone. He outlined several education initiatives, including free in-state tuition for students with a family income of less than 25,000.

“First, we ought to guarantee as a nation that you can get out of college debt free,” said Kaine. “It’s bold but other countries do it.”

“We need a real pro-education president like Hillary Clinton,” said Kaine, who went on to compare Clinton’s education policy with Trump’s recent Trump University lawsuit, suggesting that Trump was using money from his own charity to bribe officials involved in the case.

Kaine made a call for more women in office and thanked Michigan students for listening to him before exiting the stage.

“Even though we’ve done a lot, we’ve got a lot to do.”

University of Michigan