UMich football player Drake Johnson run over by forklift

He’s expected to recover quickly

According to a statement released by the University, running back Drake Johnson was hospitalized on Wednesday after he was run over by a forklift while stretching.

“On Wednesday, an accident occurred at the indoor track and field building involving student-athlete Drake Johnson.

“He was evaluated by a U-M athletic department team physician and was referred to the U-M Health system for further evaluation,” the statement said.

According to a tweet from Derick Hutchinson, a witness said the accident occurred while Johnson was stretching with headphones in, and there was something on the forklift obstructing the driver’s view.

Fortunately, Johnson is expected to recover quickly.

Coach Jim Harbaugh addressed the accident on the Big Ten East teleconference yesterday.

“I was with the family last night and I’ll let them comment on the specifics.

“I feel better with that coming from Drake or his family. But he’s doing well. I could tell you this, it would have killed a lesser man. He is blue twisted steel, very flexible and amazing. It’s one of those miraculous things, but he’s done well as can be expected.”

Johnson expressed his gratitude on Twitter, thanking God that his injury was not more serious.

This isn’t the first time Johnson has been injured recently: He also tore his ACL in both 2013 and 2014.

Drake, we’re all wishing you a speedy recovery. Be safe Wolverines, and keep a sharp eye out for forklifts.

University of Michigan