What Hogwarts House should you be in based on your major?

Ross students are total Slytherins

Let’s face it: Michigan is basically Hogwarts. With our Great-Hall worthy architecture, eager students, and amazing Quidditch team, we might as well ditch canvas and start using owls. The only thing we’re missing is a Sorting Hat. But we’ve got the next best thing: majors. From the business savvy to the philosophical, you can tell a lot about a person by what they choose to study.

Take a look at this list of majors sorted into Hogwarts houses and find out if you’re brave, witty, kind, or cunning. Happy sorting!

Gryffindor

Women’s Studies

Godric Gryffindor was all about bravery, and women’s studies majors are some of the bravest people around. You have a strong desire to see change in the world you’re living in, and you’re always prepared to be a leader and fight for what’s right.

International Studies

IS majors aren’t afraid to move out of their comfort zone. In fact, you probably don’t even have a comfort zone. You’re all about adventure and new experiences, a trait that Harry Potter himself would admire.

History

You’re constantly putting your nose to the grindstone and you like to learn, but you’re also in it for the action. You love hearing about the brave actions of the historic figures you study, and value courage and leadership over anything else, just like a true Gryffindor should.

Pre-Med

You might save some lives today, just like our boy Harry. Godric would be proud.

Hufflepuff

Nursing

As a nursing student, you’re among some of the hardest workers at this school, and you get half the credit enjoyed by those who are pre-med. You don’t mind, though, because you’re in it for the human connection and the chance to make a difference. Your determination and empathy make you perfect to rep the yellow badger.

Education

Hufflepuff values kindness and self-sacrifice over anything else, and Education majors exemplify this. They have to be compassionate and connect with their students, and most of all, they have to be patient. I mean, some of these people are choosing to spend the rest of their lives surrounded by elementary schoolers. You can’t get more Hufflepuff than that.

Environmental Sciences

Herbology guru Professor Sprout was head of Hufflepuff house. Need I say more?

Sport Management

Like other majors in Hufflepuff, people sometimes look down at you for studying something that’s not seen as traditionally academic, but you work just as hard as anyone at Michigan, and you’re extremely determined and passionate about what you do. You love sports, but you also like all the people you get to meet and interact with in your area of study, a quality that Helga Hufflepuff valued.

Ravenclaw

English

The Ravenclaw common room is literally just a giant library, aka an English major’s paradise. You’ve sometimes got your head in the clouds, but it’s only because you’re thinking about that book you just read, and you’re totally stressed about the giant paper you have due tomorrow. If it doesn’t get done in time, just blame the nargles.

Performing Arts/Art and Design

One thing Ravenclaws value above all else is creativity, which puts Michigan’s artists in their house. You think outside the box and never follow the crowd, and value originality above all else, just like everyone’s favorite Ravenclaw, Luna Lovegood.

Philosophy

Intellectual conversation is your thing. You love to argue and hypothesize, and can form opinions on the most intangible topics. Your interest in logic and reason and desire to constantly test your mind lands you with Hogwarts’ thinkers.

Screen Arts and Cultures

You see things with a unique perspective and value hard workers and original thinkers. Other people stereotype you as being pretentious at times, but really you’re just extremely passionate about what you’re doing. Which is a good thing, because if Harry Potter ever gets a reboot, we’ll call you first, so you’d better be ready.

Slytherin

Ross

Ah Ross, the school everyone loves to hate. Much like Slytherin, Ross students have a competitive nature and a reputation for doing what it takes to get ahead. You just keep doing you, Ross kids. Snape turned out good(ish) in the end.

Political Science

For the future Clintons and Rubios of the world, there’s nowhere more fitting than Slytherin. You want a chance at making change, or at least getting a powerful position — and if you have to step on a few toes or make some tough choices in the meantime, at least it’s for the greater good. Voldy might not have had the best intentions, but you have to admit he had a solid leadership strategy.

Communications

It takes a lot of cunning and attention to detail to be a Comm major, as you’re always exploring the hidden effects of the things we encounter in our day-to-day lives. You’re learning how to influence “the masses” and encourage them to make certain decisions, a system of study Slytherins would be very interested in.

Psychology

Once again, you’re learning how people work, knowledge that Draco would seriously drool over. Just use your powers for good, ok?

Engineering

You’re extremely analytical and intelligent, and very driven. You’re going places fast and won’t let anyone get in your way, and if people think you’re a little elitist about your major, well, maybe it’s just because you work so dang hard. You’re proud of where you’re at and love what you’re doing, just like our favorite Slytherins.

University of Michigan