Things to do instead of going on a wild spring break trip

There’s more to life than tequila, apparently

So, you didn’t want to (or weren’t allowed to) head to Mexico this Spring Break. That’s okay, there’s no shame in that. Sure, it would be fun to take body shots on the beach with 5000 of your closest friends, eat copious amounts of guacamole, and take ~fire~ Instas in the water, but it’s probably overrated.

Spring Break is upon us, and if you’re so far plan-less, it’s understandable to worry about filling all those hours that are usually occupied by studying. If you’re running low on ideas or tight on money, here’s a short list that can hopefully inspire you to use your break to the fullest.

Go home

Sure, it seems like a lame option compared to downing shots on a beautiful coastline, but nothing really beats the home-cooked meals and love of family. Or maybe it’s just the cheapest option. Either way, you’re bound to get plenty of sleep and will be stoked to hit the campus again in March.

Go on a mission trip

Save the world and your liver! You could build houses in Jamaica or give checkups in some place other than Ann Arbor. Bonus points for anyone who takes a picture in scrubs, surrounded by children.

Volunteer or job shadow

Build your resume up rather than tearing your immune system down. It will make your body and your parents happy. No, you probably can’t show up to your networking date blackout — but maybe you can get invited for drinks after. And that’s like, twice as cool, right?

Go snowboarding/skiing

Image by Anna Mondrusov

Spring is a relative term, really. I mean, sure, it’s referred to as “Spring Break” but it’s really more of a midwinter situation. And what could be better than tearing up the slopes either in Michigan or elsewhere? Maybe the hot chocolate after, but not much else.

Go hiking/exploring

Just because you aren’t going to Key West to get smashed doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the sun somewhere. In fact, you can get one hell of a tan minus the hangover if you head out to Colorado or Montana and do some adventuring. You can exercise and see some pretty beautiful sights, and maybe you’ll even get to Instagram it — it’s a win-win-win.

Take a road trip

You don’t need a plane ticket to go somewhere cool. In fact, the drive can be half of the fun for some trips. So get a couple of friends, the Harry Potter series on audiobook, and go find the best Waffle Houses in America. Just follow the advice you would give to your drunken friends: do not forget to pack snacks.

Have a movie marathon

Life at school can be wild, so let’s keep break tame. You don’t need to be too belligerent to remember the night before when you’ve got all the classics in store for your movie marathons. Even better, start Fuller House and crack open a bottle of nostalgia for the road ahead. Uncle Jesse is bound to be better than any boy you’d find staggering along the beach.

Stay in Ann Arbor

Have you ever not waited in line for the Broken Egg? Well, now’s your shot. You can parade around campus in its nearly desolate state, proudly ordering coffee without the anxiety of making it to class on time, and you don’t have to worry about a line at Ricks — probably. Beware, though, the Ann Arbor natives feel the same way, and eagerly flood the city streets when the students are away.

Read a book

Unless every spring-breaker is Hemingway, I’m pretty sure they won’t be dealing with too much literature in Palm Springs. So grab a book you like and get a leg up on the competition. Bonus points if it’s one of those with a dreamy, shirtless man on the cover — no one said it had to be Dickens.

Work

It might be a bit of a letdown to work during spring break, but you’ll be making more money and gaining more respect from your employers than those who choose to go wild. If you’re not in it for the respect, that’s fine too! You can put the money you make in a “Spring Break” savings jar, so next year you can head somewhere fun.

Ignore all of this and just get drunk

Who says you need to be in a remote location to get as drunk as everybody else on Spring Break? Grab your friends, a bottle of liquor, and party like it’s welcome week. No one’s judging.

University of Michigan national-us