The Chipotle on State is closed today

You can get a free burrito for the inconvenience

You may have to settle for Pancheros or BTB today, because Chipotle will be closed from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in order to implement a new food safety program.

In an attempt to recover from its widespread fight against E. coli, every Chipotle location in the country will be closed to train staff on food preparation and handling changes, according to Fortune 500.

Here are a few of the major adjustments they’re making:

• Items like tomatoes, lettuce, and bell peppers will be prepared in central kitchens.
  • Items like cilantro will be marinated in citrus juice for an extra layer of food safety (and flavor).
  • Company food tracing system will allow them to track all ingredients.
  • Stores will undergo regular inspections by local government health officials.

Fortunately, the CDC has closed its investigation into the E. coli incidents, declaring the food-ruining bacteria problem over, according to recent Food Safety News. (So you can indulge in as many burrito bowls as you want without fear.)

Chipotle will live-tweet this national employee meeting through @ChipotleTweets.

Due to the inconvenience, Chipotle is giving its customers free burritos — just text RAINCHECK to 888222 before 6pm today and they’ll send you a coupon.

Update: Free burrito is on its way. Bless you, Chipotle, bless you.

University of Michigan