Strampel to be charged with felony misconduct, criminal sexual conduct, willful neglect of duty

Larry Nassar’s former supervisor is accused of groping, harassing, and soliciting nude photos from female students

Following the Monday arrest of William Strampel, the former MSU dean who supervised Larry Nassar until 2016, new information regarding the specific charges against him was released today by those leading an investigation into MSU. Strampel faces charges of felony misconduct in office, fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct, and two counts of willful neglect of duty.

Four female medical students say Strampel made crude, suggestive and threatening sexual comments to them during one-on-one encounters, and in two cases, groped them.

According to a police affidavit, when the woman identified as Victim 1 met with Strampel to appeal a test score, Strampel "suggested that 26-year-old women can 'put out' for 20 minutes with an old man, after which he would fall asleep, and in return the women would benefit of a free vacation."

The affidavit went on to say this comment from Strampel left her feeling intimidated –"Not only by the sexual nature of the conversation, but by the fact that Strampel had begun referring to 26-year-olds, women her very age."

Strampel also allegedly asked another female medical student to "turn around in a circle twice so that he could observe her body" during one-on-one meetings in which he also instructed her to dress more provocatively and "to be submissive and subordinate to men."

When the woman identified as Victim 3 met with Strampel because of a failed exam, Strampel "agreed to do what he called a 'favor' and let her take the exam a third time." In return for doing her this favor, the affidavit said Strampel told the student she would then be required to do anything for him, saying: "If he asked her to come 'weed the garden', she would have to do it."

The fourth alleged victim says Strampel groped her "right buttock" at a school event.

Additionally, according to the affidavit, pornographic material was found during a forensic examination of his MSU computer:

"That forensic examination uncovered approximately 50 photos of bare vaginas, nude and semi-nude women, sex toys, and pornography. Many of these photos are what appear to be 'selfies' of female MSU students, as evidence by the MSU clothing and piercings featured in multiple photos… Also discovered on Strampel's work computer were pornographic videos and a video of Dr. Larry Nassar performing 'treatment' on a young female patient."

Strampel also faces two "willful neglect of duty" charges due to his failure to enforce conditions imposed on his former employee, Larry Nassar, after an internal 2014 Title IX investigation concluded that Nassar hadn't abused patients, but advised that he follow a set of rules for "sensitive" treatments that included having a third party in the room during appointments.

Strampel failed to make sure these rules were followed, a time during which several of Nassar's female patients say they were being abused by the physician.

Larry Nassar has since been given a sentence of 60 years in prison for charges related to child pornography, 40-175 years on seven state criminal sexual abuse charges in Ingham County, along with a 40-125 year sentence for charges relating to sexually penetrating women and girls during supposed medical treatments.

In December, Strampel stepped down from his position as dean of MSU's College of Osteopathic Medicine for "health reasons" and has since been on medical leave, although he remains on faculty with tenure. MSU Interim President John Engler announced last month that he had initiated the administrative process of firing Strampel over his failure to protect "student and patient safety."

Strampel is in police custody at this time and was arraigned in East Lansing District Court this afternoon at 2:30pm.

Follow The Tab MSU as we update this situation as more information becomes available.

Michigan State Hide Images