BREAKING: President Simon has officially resigned

The move follows a week of anger and calls for her resignation

Lou Anna K. Simon has finally stepped down as president of Michigan State University.

As the sentencing of sexual predator and former MSU physician Larry Nassar has progressed, Michigan State University's administration – particularly now-former President Lou Anna K. Simon – were thrown into the national spotlight. As more victims spoke out, so did politicians, newspaper editorial boards, students and many others calling for her resignation.

In her resignation letter, Simon wrote:

"As tragedies are politicized, blame is inevitable. As president, it is only natural that I am the focus of this anger. I understand, and that is why I have limited my personal statements.

"…I urge those who have supported my work to understand that I cannot make it about me now. Therefore, I am tendering my resignation as president according to the terms of my employment agreement."

Brian Breslin, Chair of the MSU Board of Trustees, wrote a statement supporting Simon's decision.

"President Simon has offered her resignation to the Board of Trustees, and we will accept it. We agree with Dr. Simon that it is now time for change."

This story will be updated as more information is available.

Michigan State