MSU linebacker, Jon Reschke, leaves program after verbal altercation

“I lost control of my emotions and made an insensitive and totally regrettable comment”

The hits just keep on coming for MSU’s football team.

Linebacker Jon Reschke announced that he will be leaving the team after making comments about a former teammate that he now says were “insensitive and totally regrettable.” Though details were not provided, Reschke claimed the verbal altercation left many teammates “offended and hurt.” The decision to part ways was mutually seen as the best course of action.

Photo Credit: Matthew Mitchell / MSU Athletic Communications

Former MSU linebacker Darren Harris was quoted as saying that Reschke’s departure was “probably a situation that was necessary for the betterment of the team.” Harris, who played with Reschke in his last two seasons with MSU also added that “obviously nobody at Michigan State would ever wish ill upon Jon Reschke and we hope that he’s able to find peace.”

Following the suspension of three students and a staffer connected to a case of sexual assault, the last thing MSU needed was more bad press surrounding the team.

Reschke was a reliable LB in 2015 recording 2 sacks and 75 tackles before missing most of the 2016 season to injury. You can find his entire statement here.

Michigan State