Fellow Spartan dies from sledding accident

Our thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends

Junior and kinesiology major, Sally Ottenhoff, passed away Sunday morning after a sledding accident on a trip to Boyne Mountain Resort with her family and friends.

Charlevoix County Sheriff Chuck Vondra confirmed the incident. “[Ottenhoff and a small group of friends] decided to sled down one of the ski hills between two and three o’ clock in the morning… She went down the hill and made impact with the building.” She was then taken to a local hospital to be treated for her injuries, where she later passed away.

In a statement given by Ed Grice, the president and general manager of the resort, he noted that any form of sledding equipment is not to be used on on the trails, which are intended for skiing and snowboarding, at any time.

Olivia Simmons said to The State News via email she had been Snapchatting her friend less than an hour before the incident occurred. “She looked like she was having so much fun.”

Sally, left, with her friend Olivia, who is pictured on the right.

A memorial gathering will be held at on Friday, January 20, 2017 at Chas. Verheyen Inc from 2-9pm.

Michigan State