Everything that happened at the Milo event and protest last night

From Milo posing as a protestor to others being arrested

After his incendiary Instagram post, many students were angered by the blame put on the more liberal people on campus. So many students rallied to protest Milo’s presence on campus yesterday.

Students gathered in front of Conrad Hall, where Milo was scheduled to speak at 7pm, bringing signs and chanting in peaceful protest.

At first, the protesters weren’t taken very seriously. Milo even posed as a protester in effort to make fun of the anger his presence caused.

But as things began to escalate, the MSU police decided to take action.

Multiple students were arrested by the police yesterday as a result of their protesting Milo’s presence on campus. Many people are agitated that MSU’s president, President Simon, has stated that MSU is an inclusive campus that doesn’t tolerate bigotry and yet has invited a speaker who has repeatedly talked about the need for a cap on the number of women in STEM fields because apparently getting into science is now too easy for women. Milo has also used discriminatory, racist and sexist rhetoric.

So although the protesters were speaking out against Milo being on campus, the real reasoning was because of the message these types of speakers send to students, particularly minority groups and women.

The response by the police may have also been overdramatic, as the First Amendment of the Constitution gives people the right to peacefully assemble, which means that they had every legal right to protest Milo Yiannopoulos and the message he spreads.

Michigan State