Don’t be surprised MSU didn’t make it to the Bowl Games

But we can still drink to them

This year’s Bowl Games have officially been announced, and two Michigan teams can look forward to playing in a New Years Bowl. The Bad news? Michigan State wasn’t invited.

It’ll come as no surprise to State fans (or anyone else for that matter) that the Spartan’s 3-9 record was not deserving of a Bowl Game berth. It’s also not surprising that #6 UofM earned a spot in the Orange Bowl against #11 Florida State. No, what is a surprise is that the Western Michigan Broncos rocketed up the rankings en rout to a 13-0 record and MAC Championship, with their prize being the right to face #8 Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl.

Filling in the rest of the marquee lineup is USC and Penn State in the Rose Bowl, Auburn and Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl, Ohio State and Clemson in the Fiesta Bowl and Washington and Alabama in the Peach Bowl. The winners of the Fiesta and Peach Bowl will, of course, face of in the National Championship Game on January 9.

While UofM fans will no doubt feel like they deserved to be in the College Football Playoffs, there’s little to argue with in these Bowl Games. WMU fans on the other hand, will be thrilled to be in the Cotton Bowl after being underrated in the Rankings all year long. (Side note: It’ll be very interesting to see How the Broncos fare against their first real test of the season).

There are also about 500 other Bowl Games that we could talk in depth about, but you could go anywhere for that coverage. Instead we will just touch on the “highlights.”

As always we have the “Corporate Bowls” with this year’s iterations being The Outback, TaxSlayer, Belk, Foster Farms, Pinstripe, Russel Athletic, Quick Lane and Dollar General Bowls. Then we have the “Places Bowls” with the Music City, Arizona, Alamo, Birmingham, Texas, St. Petersburg, Hawaii, Bahamas, Boca Raton, Miami Beach, Las Vegas, New Mexico and New Orleans Bowls. And finally we have the “??? Bowls” featuring the Cactus, Holiday and Potato Bowls.

While there are no outstanding games in the lower lineup, no football is bad football. So sit back, relax, snuggle up and enjoy your break while you try to forget what could have been for our Spartans.

Michigan State