The struggles of all students who pay their own tuition

Who knew college was so damn expensive?

It’s no secret that college is expensive – like, really expensive. This is pretty widely known, but only some students understand what it truly means. Those individuals, who have been tasked with paying for their own tuition rather than their parents paying for it, should be very familiar with these struggles that come with this badge of adulthood.

The obligation to work

No one wants to work. Let me rephrase that – no one wants to work in the dining halls or at a Sparty’s, but when those are the only places hiring, well…you gotta do what you gotta do. There’s also the issue of needing to work 20+ hours a week while also needing to study and go to class.

The difficulty of finding living arrangements

Here’s the thing- I’m not about to spend $780 a month plus utilities to live at 1855 when it opens. Just finding somewhere to sleep and shower should not be so expensive. What college student needs granite countertops or even matching appliances? The answer is none, especially on a tight budget.

Learning to be resourceful is a necessity

Going green is good, but you aren’t doing it to save the environment. Turning off the lights when you aren’t in the room, keeping the house thermostat around 68 degrees, doing dishes and laundry less often, short showers, etc. are habits and a way of life now. Anything to lower the bills at the end of the month is worth it.

Learning to build the perfect schedule

Not a single credit will be wasted. There is no such thing as “time for exploring.” Get in and get out – that is the motto. At this point you know exactly which credits you need, how to satisfy those requirements, and how to adjust your schedule to make them fit. Most likely, friends come to you instead of their advisor to get help with next semester’s schedule. You’re just that good.

Going out to eat is more than just a break from the ordinary

This is basically a small holiday, like Christmas for your taste buds. Having someone take you out somewhere other than the dining hall or Conrad’s is kind of a big deal. Trust me, there’s a big difference between Holmes’ fries and Hopcat’s fries.

Having your parents visit and bring groceries

Yeah it’s great to see them, but where is the free food? Nobody understands how much groceries cost until they have to buy them themselves. And when they do bring them, I’m probably going to guard that food with my life. No one is getting my Skinnypop.

Not being able to drop $100 on Sparty merch

This struggle is so real, especially during football and basketball season. MSU may have the best apparel out there, and it is so tempting to buy that new sweatshirt, but with four dollars in your checking account it’s just not really an option.

Your friends whose parents pay for them don’t understand

They mean well, but for some it’s difficult to understand that you don’t have an expendable income. No, I do not want to go out every weekend. Do you know how much that costs? All those Bubble Island, Espresso Royale and Panda Express trips add up. Also – if you’re looking for good booze, you’re asking the wrong person because the cheap stuff is all I have. Let’s watch some Netflix and hang out instead.

Sure, you could’ve gone somewhere with cheaper tuition, somewhere where the costs of apartments and food weren’t so high, but all in all MSU was the right choice. Maybe you’ll have to work a little harder and struggle a little more, but with the will of a Spartan and, more importantly, a Spartan’s education, it’ll all be worth it in the end.

Michigan State MSU relatable tuition