MSU researchers bring back Spartan beer

A timeline of the revival of a beer made by Spartans for Spartans

Agriculture researchers at Michigan State University have breathed life back in to a breed of “Spartan” barley that has not been used in the production of beer for almost a century. The barley will be featured in a limited edition lager named “Russ’s Revival” for the MSU researcher who revived the strain, and New Holland brewing Co. will be the first to showcase this rebranded barley. New Holland Co.’s brewmaster, Steve Berthel is hoping to use the lager to “celebrate not just MSU and its contributions to agriculture but our state as a whole.”

He also states that the history behind the barley is quite unique, which makes the desire to take part in it so much stronger. Spartan barley was first created in 1916 by MSU plant breeder F.A. Spragg. This beer was known to have a higher quality, disease resistance and yields than other barley on the market, so it soon took off across the country. But when prohibition hit the United States four years later, and alcohol was banned, it was taken off the market. It was brought back in 1933, and as prohibition was overturned, and beer with low levels of alcohol were made legal again, farmers began to grow Spartan barley in great abundance, however, it was once again almost eliminated in the market due to new varieties of barley that were able to be produced faster.

Fast forward a century, and New Holland Brewing Co. is working to produce the best beer possible, as well as the most Michigan beer possible, with the Spartan barley. The head brewmaster plans to pay tribute to Spartan’s by bringing the lager back to pre-prohibition taste and style as well as adding a mix of three hops that are distinct to Michigan, and a yeast that is found in Houghton County.

The Spartan brew will be available as a limited edition at New Holland Brewing Co. and certain tap houses in the Lansing area in late November. So Spartans, have your ids ready, and go celebrate the revival of a great beer that is held to the same level of superiority as the people drinking it. Enjoy a cold one brought to you, with excellence, by MSU.

Michigan State