Things every Spartan girl needs to remember

Go ahead, get those Insomnia cookies

Whether it be the slow creation of distance between you and your old high school friends, not even wanting to check your bank account or your current GPA, a hard and drawn-out breakup with an old flame or simply struggling to find yourself in the crazy East Lansing environment that never seems to slow down or take a break, college can be a lot to handle.

We all love the freedom and excitement that college brings with it, but we also aren’t always mentally or physically prepared for its inevitable trials and tribulations. This one is for all the ladies who need a little reminder every now and then that they’re going to be alright – even when things aren’t going as planned (which they rarely do).

I know you’re recovering from last night, but don’t skip that 8am

One thing you should never forget: how much you are paying for this college experience.

Yeah, you had a really good Thursday night out with your ladies at that janky frat house or that bar on Grand River, and skipping one class might not sound like the worst idea as you fail to peel yourself out of bed. However, you and I both know that skipping one class – no matter how “easy” it is – is just asking for a bad score on the exam or a missed due date.

You signed up for those early morning Friday classes. Just go. Plus, you’ll be able to see that pretty East Lansing sunrise.

“How he treats you is how he feels about you” 

Do not let any man – sorry, in this case, boy – take advantage of you. Stop searching for the good in someone who only shows you the bad. He isn’t going to change unless he personally wants to, so rid yourself of the idea that you can “fix” him or turn him into somebody who actually wants the best for you.

Sometimes you just have to let go of people that are mentally, emotionally and/or physically draining. Find someone who wants to watch you grow and intends to grow right beside you.

“You can be a good person with a kind heart and still say no.” -Daniel Krascenits

This goes for anything. If you don’t want it, don’t say yes. Don’t say maybe. Say no. And be firm. Whether it’s someone offering you a drink at that house party, a boy you’re iffy about asking you to come home with him or something as innocent as “wanna go grab some lunch at the caf?” when you know you don’t have time. Have enough confidence in yourself to do what’s best for you. If they get upset or can’t understand your wishes, that’s all the more reason to say no and walk away.

Don’t let an order of Insomnia cookies at 2am ruin your body positivity

We all know how self-conscious we are, especially with the rumored “freshman fifteen” always in the back of our minds. As girls, we’re our own worst enemy when it comes to our body image. We look in the mirror and for some reason notice every flaw, but disregard the beautiful parts that others see in us.

Everyone has stomach rolls when they bend over. Everyone gets stretch marks. Everyone wishes certain things were a little smaller, while wishing other things were a little bigger – we get it. So why are we so mean to ourselves? You are so used to your own features that you don’t realize how beautiful you look to others. Don’t wish for the same features as another girl you see walking down Grand River; you don’t have to be pretty like her when you’re already pretty like you.

So go ahead, get that deluxe chocolate peanut butter cup cookie from Insomnia. You can take a run in the morning.

“So far you’ve survived 100% of your worst days. You’re doing great”

So he didn’t call you back, even though you thought the hottie who asked you to hayride had to be your soulmate. You failed that exam last week even though you sat in the library studying, four cups of coffee down, for more hours than you care to reveal. You spilled your fresh Starbucks latte all over you and the cute boy waiting on his drink behind you at Wells Hall. And worst of all, you spent way too much money on Uber last weekend…with destinations that you definitely could have walked to.

But look at you: you’re alive and well. You’ve made it through those awkward, disheartening, and tearful moments. Take a break. De-stress. Just put on a smile and take whatever today throws at you with the knowledge that tomorrow has the potential to be the best day of your life.

“You mainly feel the way you think.” -Albert Ellis

Alright, this is a biggie. Spending your days listening to sad songs, or thinking about all the parts of your life that you would alter if given the chance is a toxic way to go through life. A negative mindset gives off a negative aura and pushes others away while being increasingly harmful to yourself.

College throws a lot at you, and you have to be able to bounce back physically and mentally. Positive thoughts can change not only your mood, but your entire day. Don’t depend on someone else for your happiness; it all starts with you.

Don’t think about what you’ve left behind

College is a time to recreate yourself. How do you expect to better yourself when you’re always looking back at what used to be? Be where you are. Of all the times to start fresh and create a new and better life for yourself, being here at Michigan State University – a school of 50,000+ students – is the prime time to do that. New friends, new classmates, new teachers, new loves – okay, let’s chill, just new “likes” – and a new you. Do not place any time and energy on past regrets, past people, or past experiences. Open yourself up to this new atmosphere and let yourself be present in it.

Remember why you started

It’s easy to get hung up on the negatives of your situation that you start to forget what put you there in the first place. Yeah, maybe your chemistry class is painfully difficult – but if you give up on it now, your dream of being a nurse is out the window. Maybe you joined an MSU school club and its eating up so much of your time that you’re considering dropping it – but look at all the opportunities it’s created for you and all the friends its provided. Don’t ever be half-way into anything; put every piece of yourself into what you love. If it wasn’t difficult, it wouldn’t be worth it, so stick with it.

Sometimes a night of Netflix with your roomie is better than a night out

Just take a night – or a weekend – to unwind and chill. Missing that Alpha Sig party isn’t the end of the world, and you’re no less awesome in anyone’s mind for staying in and binge-watching Gossip Girl with your best friend, and snackin’ on a little too much popcorn. Nights like these are therapeutic in college, and the difference with a night like this is that it comes with zero regrets in the morning – therefore, it really doesn’t get much better.

“So, do it. Decide. Is this the life you want to live? Is this the person you want to love? Is this the best you can be? Can you be stronger? Kinder? More compassionate? Decide. Breathe in. Breathe out and decide.” -Richard Webber

This is everything. Something we seem to so often disregard is the fact that if we don’t like the life we’re living, we are blessed with the ability to change it. Whether that means dropping your pride and finally apologizing to that one person who you know deserves it more than anyone, applying for that internship across the country that you didn’t feel confident enough in getting and were too scared to leave your comfortable hub for, changing majors completely so that you can finally do what you love, or telling that special person how much you care about them. These opportunities are just waiting to be snagged by someone strong and decisive enough to take them. Be that person…#SpartansWill.

There will be rainy days, that’s inevitable. But make sure you’re able to let the sunny ones outshine them. You got this, girl.

Michigan State