Every reason you can’t miss opening day for MSU Hockey

Because hockey season is finally upon us

Everyone knows that MSU gets hype for football and basketball, but we can’t forget about Michigan’s greatest sport: hockey.

As the NHL kicks into full gear, so does the NCAA. MSU Hockey officially begins with the first big game of the season this Friday, October 21 with MSU vs Denver. All ASMSU season ticket holders can bring any guest of their choice, as long as they have an MSU ID card.

Michigan has the Detroit Red Wings, 11-time Stanley Cup winners – and now they have the MSU Spartans, three-time NCAA champions. With our support as enthusiastic Spartan fans, hopefully we can make this year the 4th.

Season tickets are only $99, and you can usually buy half-season tickets for around $60 after the regular season starts. Each hockey season ticket holder gets a free ASMSU hockey jersey and lots of games with free guest tickets to bring your friends to.

Plus, you can sometimes even get on famous social media accounts like ESPN’s college hockey Snapchat story.

MSU hockey fans never cease to bring the hype and always cheer the team on, whether we’re winning or not. When you hear the chants of “Sieve! Sieve! Sieve! Sieve!” and “You let the WHOLE TEAM DOWN!” reverberate around the ice rink, you can’t help but join in enthusiastically. Plus, the MSU band performs at every game, so there’s never a shortage of rounds of the MSU fight song.

If you can’t make it to opening day on October 21, you have another chance to see MSU vs. Denver the next night on October 22. Both games are at 7:05pm in the Munn Ice Arena.

Most hockey games are on Friday and Saturday nights, and (aside from Princeton and the US National Team Development Program U-18) our own Spartans play two games a weekend – so there’s never an excuse for you to miss out. Even if you don’t have season tickets, there are still some free games you can go to.

So, if you’ve never been to a hockey game before, or if you have but haven’t gotten your tickets yet, make sure to buy them before the regular season starts.

Michigan State