MSU Basketball: Meet the freshmen

Miles Bridges, Josh Langford, Nick Ward and Cassius Winston are the newest members of the greatest team on earth

Get ready, because it is almost time for Michigan State basketball! This year’s team has some fresh new talent, and it will be a close call about who is played. “We have a couple of what I call great players, a lot of very good players,” Izzo said. “And in those [good] players, there’s not a lot of separation. It’s going be difficult to figure out who to play.”

Here is a quick preview of the four freshmen with the most potential.

Nick Ward

Come Up SZN?

A photo posted by Nick Ward?? (@ballislife23_) on Oct 1, 2016 at 5:47am PDT

Ward, a 6’9″ power forward, ranked number 39 in ESPN’s top 40 in the nation, has already made an impact as a Spartan. Projected to be a starter, Nick has worked hard with his teammates to get ready for the season. Tom Izzo, called him, “a poor, poor man’s Zach Randolf.” Nick is quick on his feet, has a strong build, and soft hands. Izzo stated in an interview, “He’s just got to improve his work ethic… That’s evident by the weight he lost. I think that, for every five pounds he lost, I think he realized how much better he is. He started the year wearing a sweatshirt, and he ended the year coming around in a tank top.” Ward is improving himself, and earning his time on the court. From Columbus, Ohio, he received offers from other colleges, including Ohio State, Wisconsin and Purdue.

Joshua Langford

It's almost time⏳⏲⏰?? #NSNG

A photo posted by Joshua Langford (@therealjlang) on Sep 30, 2016 at 8:03am PDT

Ranked number 19 in ESPN’s top 40 in the nation, Langford comes from Huntsville, Alabama. He is a 6’6″, five star shooting guard. He had many offers from universities, including Michigan, Alabama and Florida. Along with Izzo, the other freshman are happy to have him. Miles Bridges, another freshman recruit, said, “[Langford] is the hardest player to guard, by far.” Langford is the only “outsider” coming from Alabama, but it has been easy for him to settle in with the team – he even called it a “brotherhood.” In an interview with the Detroit Free Press, Coach Izzo said, “[Langford] spends time on his game, he has a basketball IQ. If there’s a negative, he’s almost too hard on himself. He’s always looking for perfection, and he sometimes gets bummed out when he doesn’t achieve that. I’d say that’s the only negative I’ve seen.”

Cassius Winston

Liked this one better. Start to the journey starts tomorrow ??

A photo posted by Cassius Winston (@cassiuswinston5) on Sep 29, 2016 at 3:38pm PDT

Ranked number 31 in ESPN’s top 40 in the nation, Winston is a 6’1″ point guard from Detroit, Michigan. “I don’t think there is a guy I’ve had that is as basketball-savvy. I mean, he can thread the needle and throw passes,” Izzo said in an interview with the Detroit Free Press. Winston and Langford have become really close over the summer, and Izzo constantly talks about their basketball intelligence. It is clear they are both very smart on the court.

Miles Bridges

Ranked number 8 in ESPN’s top 40 in the nation, Bridges is a 5-star, small forward from Flint, Michigan. He received other offers from schools like Michigan, Kentucky and Indiana. Izzo is very glad to have him on the team, saying “The guy that’s impressed me the most on how he’s handled things is Miles.” Other reports have suggested that Bridges is impressing Izzo even off the court, “The 18-year-old was personable, approachable and affable. Oh, yeah, and really good at basketball.”

Overall, these four freshman have already shown serious potential. The team lost some great players this past year, and they have left some pretty big shoes to fill. Coaches are thrilled for the season because of the new recruits being the “best class ever,” in the words of Izzo. An excellent season awaits for Bridges, Ward, Langford and Winston because they chose to become Spartans. Go Green!

Feature image credit to MSUSpartans.com

Michigan State