Marijuana is now legal in East Lansing

Potheads rejoice!

Last night, East Lansing passed an ordinance legalizing the use and possession of less than an ounce of marijuana on private property by people over the age of 21. You can also possess less than an ounce of weed while you’re in public too, if you’re over 21, as long as you don’t blazeĀ up.

The ordinance, which passed 4-1, makes it a civil infraction for people under 21, punishable by a fine of $25 and community service or a required course on substance abuse.

However, while getting high in the comfort of your own front yard is now legal, under Michigan’s state law the use or possession of marijuana is still considered a misdemeanor, which is punishable by up to a year in jail.

East Lansing police department Lt. Scott Wriggelsworth spoke to the Lansing State Journal and said that officers have the choice to seek charges under state law, but usually won’t arrest people for use or possession unless in the case of well known drug dealers.

So there are some restrictions to keep you from going overboard, but this may be one small step closer to getting weed legalized and everyday can be 4/20!

Michigan State