Beaumont Tower open to public for MSU Homecoming

Ever wanted to see the inside of one of the most beautiful landmarks on campus? Here’s your chance

Beaumont Tower will be opening its doors to the public for the first time this year. In honor of MSU’s homecoming game against Northwestern, the Tower Guard will be hosting tours of the tower Saturday, October 15 from 10am–3pm.

It’s not often that many get to see the inside of this historical MSU landmark, so this is something special that all Spartans, young and old, can enjoy to top off their homecoming weekend.

After the collapse of College Hall in 1918, former student John Beaumont refused to allow the first building constructed on campus to vanish from MSU history. Named in his honor, the John W. Beaumont Memorial Tower was built in 1928. It was built as a symbol of knowledge for the campus, with the northeast finial intentionally being higher than the other three to show that there is always a need for higher learning.

The tower features a carillon with 49 bells that plays a full range of beautiful music on the hour everyday. One of the site’s most popular traditions is to kiss your sweetheart in the shadow of the tower or at midnight; it’s believed that once you do, you’ll be together forever.

This is a great event worth checking out – you won’t be disappointed. Take part in the tours this Saturday, and find more information about the Beaumont Tower here.

Michigan State