An honest list of items you need during rush at MSU

These are the things that the blogs won’t tell you

With formal recruitment coming full speed ahead, it’s not surprising that PNM’s (potential new members) are Googling tips for formal recruitment and watching Youtube videos on the things you should say and do during rush.

Seen as how each school treats the rush process just a little differently, we here at The Tab Michigan State decided to compile a list of items you may or may not need during your rush week.

A bag/tote

Chances are you’re going to need some sort of purse/tote to carry all these items in. It doesn’t need to be flashy so don’t feel the need to go buy a brand new Michael Kors bag, but you’re definitely going to want something big enough to carry some of the items listed below.

Water

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 11.46.19 AM

These tables are put out by the houses, but don’t expect there to always be water in them

I can’t stress how important it is to have a water bottle or three with you during this week. Not only is it still incredibly hot outside, but many of the houses only have A/C on the first floor and some don’t have any at all. So with no to little cool air and 80+ girls in a house trying to talk to each other, its bound to become scorching. Also because there are so many girls in the house at the same time as you, you are bound to basically start shouting at the other girl for her to hear what you’re saying. (AKA you’re gonna loose your voice).

A change of shoes

At MSU you have to walk from your dorm to all the houses throughout the day and they aren’t all on the same street sadly. By all means do not feel obligated to wear your heels during the almost mile walk from South or East Neighborhood to MAC street. Your feet will hate you. Bring a spare set of shoes such as flip flops or even tennis shoes and have your heels ready to go in your bag.

Band-aids

You will need these. Or your roommate will or someone you know. Whether it’s due to blisters from your heels or because you tripped on the uneven sidewalk down MAC, they will be used. Just throw some in your bag for safe keeping.

Makeup

Me on values day

This is totally optional because it’s just for personal preference but I would also recommend  having a little mirror, some extra face powder and lipstick to touch up during rounds. I would also advise bringing a bottle of facial mist (the Mario Badescu one is the bomb.com) to cool off your face and keep hydrated.

Snacks

Wow is this important. On the first weekend of rush you are going to house parties (yes this is what they are called) every 20 minutes from 9am until 9pm. It’s a long ass day, you do get fed pizza on the first day, but there is normally only enough for everyone to get one maybe two slices. Be sure to pack a couple granola bars or maybe an apple to munch on as the day goes on.

An umbrella

Me with my handy umbrella as it poured on the third day

We all know that Michigan weather is incredibly unreadable. And during rush you definitely don’t want to take the risk of getting rained on while waiting out on the lawn. Don’t feel the need to bring a giant golf umbrella, just a little one will do just fine. Also you can use it as shade from the hot sun while waiting. #dualpurpose

A Hairbrush

Again, this isn’t 100% necessary, but I know I benefited from having a small hairbrush in my bag. After being in a hot house or standing on the lawn waiting for your house, its nice to brush through your hair super quick before going into the next house party.

The Spartan app

This app is useful not only for rush, but for the entire school year. I honestly would not have been able to function last year without it. The app has a maps setting with directions to all the houses and buildings on campus, a food section to help you find restaurants quick, and the bus schedule.

Gum

For obvious reasons you would want to always have a stash of gum in your purse. There is nothing worse than having bad breath when you’re trying to have a one-on-one conversation with someone.

Confidence

If there is one thing that the houses are looking for during recruitment it isn’t your hair or makeup or what brand names your clothes come from. It’s how you carry yourself when you walk in the front door of their house.

Michigan State