The 10 commandments of Michigan State football

All hail coach Dantonio

With just a little over a month until the first Michigan State football game, all of the beloved Spartan fans are watching the hype video over and over again, remembering this year’s roster and even re-watching the clip of MSU beating U of M from last year. Iconic.

As we prepare for our cars to be filled at maximum capacity to make the trip to East Lansing, we are pulling our jerseys and flags out of our closets to make their appearance on September 2nd. It may still be scorching hot outside, but just wait another month and that trusty MSU crewneck can be put to good use once again.

With game day coming closer and closer, here’s a reminder of the 10 commandments of MSU football you should never forget.

Thou shall repeat ‘Go Green, Go White’ until your voice is gone

I mean, it’s just tradition to say this chant. It’s probably the most infamous line in Michigan State history and everyone goes nuts when the whole stadium starts screaming it.

Thou shall know every word to the fight song

Dating back to 1915, the Michigan State fight song has been changed several times throughout our school’s history. Because we were previously the Aggies, the song was spiced up a bit when our mascot officially became the Spartans. You should know these lyrics like the back of your hand.

Thou shall tailgate every game

12004012_10203625603998971_7859502897283872297_n

I’m really not sure what else you could be doing (or want to be doing) on a Saturday morning in the fall besides tailgating. Why wouldn’t you want to be with your best friends, dressed in your favorite MSU apparel and dancing around until the game starts?

Thou shall always have a special place in their heart for East Lansing

Whether you are a current student, proud alumni, or a die-hard fan, you will always cherish East Lansing and the amazing memories you have created there.

Thou shall NEVER wear maize or blue

That iconic reaction

Those two hideous colors are the bane of my existence. They can only mean one very bad thing – there is a U of M fan somewhere nearby. Between the obnoxiousness of the maize or the ugliness of the blue, if you are ever caught wearing either of those colors, you aren’t a true Spartan.

Thou shall never question Coach Dantonio

My incredibly lucky friends who got to meet our fearless leader

This man can do no wrong when it comes to coaching the Spartans. With a level head and some of the best players in the NCAA right now, Coach D can definitely take us to another Big Ten championship and maybe even a national win, too.

Thou shall rally

Since the majority of our football games have noon or 1pm starts, that gives you enough time to watch the game, take a nap and rally for Saturday night. You are down for the count if the tailgate tuckered you out too much for you to make a trip to Rick’s.

Thou shall never sit down in the student section

Unless it is half time, you better be jumping up and down and clapping along to whatever song the band is currently playing. Also, if you decide to sit down, you could likely miss a super awesome play or touchdown.

Thou shall know all the band chants

I don’t know what it is about these chants that make people go wild, but mad props to the band for creating them. You know the second the drums start to roll that one of them is going to start. You better be prepared to yell it.

Thou shall scream the Spartan call

Even though this isn’t our original line, the famous words from the movie “300” play before every kickoff. And for a moment, it makes you feel like a Spartan warrior.

Michigan State