Beloved chemistry professor retires after 48 years

Michael Rathke taught over 30,000 students

Michael Rathke is a loved chemistry professor here at MSU who is getting ready for retirement after 48 years at the university. Rathke a native of Iowa who attended Iowa State for his undergrad and Purdue for his doctorate. Since 1968 he has been teaching undergraduate and graduate students organic chemistry and he’s finally done after this year.

He says that he hopes to spend time with his 11 grandchildren, grow roses, possibly get into woodcarving and maybe even teach part time here at MSU during the summer or at a smaller university.

The faculty and students all love him. Previous student and nutritional science major, Jade Woodruff said, “He was just always so calm and he was really good at his job. I went to his office hours quite a few times to go through exams and all that and he was one of the most genuine and caring professors that I ever had. He really cared if his students understood the material which I think is sometimes hard to come by. One of the nicest and caring professors I’ve ever had.”

Thank you Dr. Rathke for your service to Michigan State! Enjoy retirement.

Michigan State