Opinion: Do you feel safe using Uber in East Lansing?

I asked MSU students whether they feel safe taking an Uber after the recent sexual assaults

Two Uber drivers were charged with sexual assault in East Lansing. The two separate incidences occurred in January and February and involved two different female MSU students.

In late February, East Lansing Police publicized that they were investigating two Uber drivers that were involved with alleged sexual assault cases. Both students reported unwelcome, inappropriate touching from their driver.

Uber made it clear that neither Salem, nor Ibrahim would be working for them ever again. Uber has also been very helpful and willing to assist the East Lansing Police to rectify this situation.

Since the alleged assaults occurred, the ELPD has been imploring all ride-booking users to be cautious when using such services. Michigan State University, East Lansing and the surrounding areas all utilize The Greater Lansing Taxi Authority to ensure safe taxi rides for people in these areas, but Uber and other ride-booking services are not included in the group.

The Tab asked MSU students if they still fell safe using Uber after these events.

Alisa Novelli, Freshman

“Personally I do. I do understand the risks of taking an Uber, though. For so many students, this is one of the best ways to get around. To hear about this kind of thing is sad and honestly just disgusting. I would never go alone into an Uber. In order to ensure my safety, I always make sure to have at least two other people in the car with me and I ALWAYS carry my mace with me at all times.”

Kaitlyn Kivi, Junior

“I’ve never felt safe using an Uber. [The recent sexual assaults] only further confirm my uneasiness. I don’t understand when girls take Ubers by themselves. I would feel uncomfortable. They just freak me out. You’re getting in a car with a stranger, and we’ve grown up being told to ‘never get in a car with a stranger.’ They can take you anywhere. Even if they clear background checks, that clearly doesn’t stop anything from happening. Once you’re in that car, you have no control over what happens, and that’s scary.”

Charlotte Darr, Junior

“I would, but not by myself. It would have to be with two or more people. I think it’s a really good idea, but kind of scary because you have no idea who the person is. So I would never ride in an Uber by myself, or even just myself and another woman. I felt that way before, but definitely more strongly now.”

Aaron Stephens, Sophomore

“As a male, I feel more confident than most women would, but there is an amount of uncertainty that goes into using an Uber. The recent stories just highlight most people’s worst-case fears and show them that they aren’t unfounded.”

Michigan State opinion sexual assault uber