MSU has the best alumni network in the world

Some pretty cool people once walked the same halls that you do

With close to 460,000 people that have walked up and down Farm Lane and are now out killing it in the real world, Michigan States alumni network is one of the best in the world. I thought it would be pretty cool to give a list of just a few of the amazing alumni we have.

Education

• Kenyon Butterfield: Graduated in 1891 – President of University of Rhode Island, UMass, and Michigan State University, appointed to the Country Life Commission by President Theodore Roosevelt.
  • Clare M. Hasler: graduated in 1981 – founding executive director, Robert Mondavi Institute for Wine and Food Science, University of California, Davis

Medicine:

• Barbara Ross-Lee: graduated in 1969 – first African-American woman dean of a U. S. medical school, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine.
  • Andrea Amalfitano: graduated with her PhD in 1989 and her D.O. Degree in 1990 – She is a pioneer  in gene therapy and has returned to MSU to  become an endowed chair in MSU’s Osteopathic Medical School.

Science:

• Liberty Hyde Bailey: gradated with a bachelors of science in 1882 – He was a botanist and horticulturist and is known as “The father of modern Horticulture”
  • Gregory Charvat: graduated in 2002 with his bachelors of science, 2003 with a masters and in 2007 he earned his PhD – He was the leader of an MIT research team that found out how radar could be used to penetrate through walls and be used in real-time video to see what was happening on the other side of the wall.

Arts and Media:

• Walter Hill: Graduated in 1962 with his bachelors of arts degree – He is a producer and director for the shows “Last man Standing” and “48 hours”.
  • Anthony Heald: graduated in 1971 with a bachelor of arts degree – Was in actor in many hollywood movies including “The silence of the Lambs”.

Journalism:

• Ray Standdard Baker: Earned a bachelors of science degree is 1889 – He was known for being a “muckraker” or a journalist that digs up information and exposes it to the public. He also won the 1940 Pulitzer Prize
  • Jemele Hill: Graduated in 1997 with a bachelors of arts degree – She is currently an ESPN page 2 columnist and was a sports columnist for the Orlando Sentinel.

Music:

• Dee Dee Bridgewater: never actually graduated from MSU – She is a Grammy and Emmy winning jazz signer and actress.
  • Dorothy DeLay: Earned a bachelors of music in 1936 – She became a master violin teacher and has many famous students such as  Itzhak Perlman and Cho-Liang Lin.

Finance:

• Dan Gilbert: Graduated in 1982 with a business degree-Founder and chairperson of Quicken Loans. He is also the owner of the Cleveland Cavilers NBA team.
  • Peter McPherson: Earned a bachelors of arts in 1963-He was a chairmen of the Dow Jones. He was also president of the National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges and MSU president 1993–2004.

The list goes on and on. There are so many phenomenal people that have graduated from MSU whether it was 100 years ago, or 10 years ago. All of our alumni are out working in the real world and helping to make this world a better place. From doctors and lawyers to Journalist and business men, the previous students to walk the same halls as you are leaders in their fields.

40% of an MSU students private loans make up their financial aid. 7% of that private fund comes from MSU donors. So not only are our alumni doing great working in their careers, but they aren’t forgetting where they came from and are donated their hard earned money back to the university for more students to become graduates of this university.

Michigan State