Michigan’s Mr. Basketball winner is coming to MSU

Maybe the new Valentine?

On March 21, University of Detroit Jesuit senior and Michigan State commit, Cassius Winston was named the Michigan Mr. Basketball winner for the 2016 season. He is the 14th person to win this award and go play at Michigan State after graduation and is back to back winners with future teammate, Deyonta Davis. Cassius and Deyonta, who is a graduate of Muskegon High School, share very similar stats and skill. Cassius was a shoe-in for the award considering he collected approximately 70 percent of the first place votes.

Currently this season, the 6’2″ senior  is averaging 22.5 points, 6.8 rebounds and 5.2 assists. Some say that this outstanding player will be the “next Denzel Valentine”. And his stats are proving true. Comparing his numbers to Valentine’s, this season (although it was cut short) Denzel averaged 19.2 points, 7.5 rebounds and 7.8 assists.

The 2016 signing class is pretty notable as well. The Spartans picked up a small forward Miles Bridges from West Virginia, a 6-5 shooting guard from Madison, Alabama Josh Langford and power forward weighing in at 241, Nick Ward hails from Columbus, Ohio. All four of the guys are ranked in the top 50 players in the country and will be huge assets to our team as I’m sure they will be coming back with a hunger for wins next season.

Cassius set goals as a freshmen. He wanted to win four catholic league championships, be a McDonald’s All-American, win Mr. Basketball, and win a state title. With the four catholic league titles under his belt and now the Michigan Mr. Basketball award under his belt. He is half way there. Sadly he fell short of becoming the McDonald’s All-American but the state championship is still in sight. With just three more games possibly left in the season, Winston and the cubs are working hard to make sure those three games come out as wins. A 25-0 record is paving the way for what is looking like a title holding season, which would be the first in the schools history.

Good luck to the Cubs this weekend and congratulations to Cassius on his winnings.

Michigan State