How to survive a darty like a true Spartan

Pro tip: It’s a marathon, not a sprint

It’s March in East Lansing, basketball playoffs are in full effect – and so is darty season, the best season of the year. For those who don’t know what darty stands for, it means day party. Original, we know. And as darty season begins to make its way back to Spartyland, I thought I would be to kind as to give you all some tips on how to have a successful darty.

1. It is a marathon, not a sprint

I would like to remind you all that it’s called a darty for a reason, DAY party, aka you do not to chug an excessive amount of cheap alcohol in the first half hour and if you’re not going to be able to make it the rest of the day. These sunny afternoons are a chance to throw a couple back and hang with friends.

2. Comfy shoes are major key

Heels are fine to wear out at night because you’re mostly likely only going to be wearing them for a couple hours. These events last several hours long and chances are the theme is not “dress to impress”. Grab your favorite pair of hightop converse and some sort of over-sized jersey and roll out.

3. Prep your stomach

Eating a single Quaker oats granola bar 20 minutes before pulling up to the darty isn’t what I mean. These events start early, sometimes as early as 10am. You need at least a bagel and cream cheese or a sandwich to prepare yourself for the damage you’re about to do.

4. DON’T be the one with a half-gal in your hand

You will be constantly taking shots. It will not be pleasant. A solo cup will do just fine.

5. DO NOT fall asleep

What a shame it would be if you fell asleep in the middle of the darty. Next thing you know you wake up on a frat houses couch and its 11:30pm. Sadly, you missed all the fun. Be sure to rest up the night before so you’re not a victim of the darty nap.

6. DO dress the theme

Why wouldn’t you dress to the theme? Whether it’s the typical jersey theme or something as fun a hippy theme, have fun with it. When else in your life are you going to be able to wear bell bottom pants in public and be socially accepted?

With only seven weeks left in this semester, get ready to darty till you can’t darty any more, Spartans. Stay safe and go green!

Michigan State