Lower consequences for underage drinking in Michigan if legislation passes

Now we don’t have to be so paranoid during tailgate season!

Six days ago, a Michigan legislation bill began its journey to the state house to possibly be passed. This piece of legislation specifically looks at the charges brought against minors in possession or MIP’s. The focus of this bill will be to change the first infraction of underage drinking from a misdemeanor to a civil infraction. AKA making the first offense a slap on the wrist. However, any MIP charges after the first one will be pursued as a misdemeanor which can mean a hefty fine and possibly community service. All but two reluctant senators passed this bill up to the house last week.

Currently in Michigan when a minor is charged with an MIP, a misdemeanor is the automatic charge. For the first violation, consequences of the charge include no more than a $100 fine. For a second violation, consequences include a fine of no more than $200, possibly accompanied by imprisonment of less than 30 days if a previous probation order was violated. A third violation results in a fine of no more than $500 along with potential imprisonment of less than 60 days if a previous probation order was violated.

12822974_10204193935166895_1758806216_o

The biggest motivation for this bill to get written and passed is that there is a growing fear that with an MIP on your record you can’t win certain scholarships, get accepted to college or get a state job. All of these fears would no longer happen if the bill passes because a civil infraction for drinking underage would come with the same consequences as not stopping at a stop sign or not using your turn signal. Most frequently when a teen is charged with an MIP, that is the first and last charge. It is very rare for them to accumulate more than one on their record.

Not only will this be better for the people who it affects but it will be better for hospitals too. Currently in the State of Michigan, if you are confronted by police who wants to arrest you for an MIP, you can declare medical amnesty. This ability was originally put in place so in the situation that a friend who is underage drank too much, you can declare medical amnesty and they can get the care they need without you or them getting in trouble with the police. More frequently I have heard of teens and college students doing this because they would rather go to the hospital and have to the doctors tell them they are drunk rather than get an MIP that goes on their record.

This is huge for the university as well. If the first offense gets dropped to only a civil infraction students won’t get in trouble at the university level. The MSU alcohol policy states “Alleged violations of MSU regulations are adjudicated through the MSU student judicial process. Consequences for violations may include, but are not limited to, some form of disciplinary probation, required attendance at educational programs, referral for assessment and treatment, relocation to a new living environment, and suspension from Michigan State University for sale of illegal drugs or repeated violations of the regulations. In addition, students can expect to be arrested and fined for violations of State Law on campus.”

Although the drinking age is still 21, on a college campus underage drinking happens constantly. Lets hope that this law can get passes because I would rather see my fellow Spartans continue their education rather than get kicked out because of one drink.

Michigan State