UMD is the 19th best value for money school in America, says TIME

The ranking comprised of 705 colleges

byrdd renamed

Out of the 2,000 four-year colleges and universities in our country, the University of Maryland was able to secure the 19th spot on the list of “best value” colleges according to Money by Time Magazine.

The ranking is comprised of 705 colleges that have shown exceptional figures on 24 different factors in education quality, affordability and alumni success. Alumni success was determined by how well the students at these schools did in their careers versus what is typically accepted for students with similar economic and academic backgrounds in college.

Without financial aid, the tuition for UMD is a little over $25,300. There are several ways to obtain aid, however, if you choose to seek it. The price drops down to an average of close to $17,000 with appropriate financial aid. These two figures are much less than the best value college Time named – Princeton University. Harvard University trailed at number three. Both colleges, although attaining outstanding academics, have a price tag of over $60,000 tuition per year. That is nearly triple the amount you pay at UMD.

Money at Time Magazine hopes to rank all of the colleges that provide great educations, perhaps based on grades, student rankings and alumni salaries, that are affordable for anyone who wishes to attend. Money says that each school on their list “prepares students for rewarding careers.”

UMD is one of the schools that values both necessity and merit in granting financial aid for students. 35 percent of students will receive need-based aid out of all of the students who attend the school while 13 percent are granted merit-based aid. Once the students graduate, they will receive an average of $54,500 as a salary in the early years of their career. The salary may very well increase as more time is spent at this job.

It is even much simpler to get into the University of Maryland than the schools that are ranked higher. The #1 school Princeton requires that a potential attendee should have an average of 1505 as their SAT Score and 33 ACT Score. UMD requires only an 1310 on the SAT to get in. While UMD will accept only the SAT, Princeton will accept either test but requires that the ACT be taken with writing.

With more alumni graduating from UMD each year, this ranking and the scores that go along with the ranking may increase. Right now, however, it is apparent that UMD is doing quite well with the value of its education that it offers.

University of Maryland