Why committing to UMD is the best decision you’ll ever make

It’s the best place for you

It’s that time of the year again! All of the high school seniors are getting acceptance letters in the mail and will soon have to decide where they will spend the next four years of their lives. Let’s not make the decision harder than it has to be, the University of Maryland is the place for you. Why is it the perfect fit for you? I’ll show you!

Testudo

Testudo might be the luckiest mascot of all. For decades, students have been rubbing Testudo’s nose for good luck. With just one rub, Terps can accomplish anything. Fear the Turtle!

The Mall

McKeldin Mall is the center and heart of campus. This nine-acre patch is where students can be found studying, relaxing, hanging out with friends, playing sports, and campus events are even held here. McKeldin Mall is the largest academic mall in the United States! Pretty cool right? When the weather is nice, the Mall is flooded with students just taking in the beauty of our campus. In the middle of the mall you’ll find a fountain that you MUST swim in before you graduate. At the top of the mall you’ll find Testudo watching over his campus.

Bentley’s

Route one is the hot spot for college students, but no place tops R.J. Bentley’s. Bentley’s is the place to be for happy hour, nightlife, and basically just any hour of the day. You’ll be pushed around in the crowd and wait a decent amount of time for your drink, but it’s the ratchet-ness of this bar that makes it the best place to let loose.

School Spirit

With the Terps recent entrace to the Big 10, campus has been thriving! There is something that connects every student on campus; we are all Terps. The school spirit here at Maryland provides a sense of community among every single student across campus. It’s easy to see our sense of pride by attending a basketball or football game. And, we have pretty banging flash mobs.

Greek Life

It’s so nice that Greek Life isn’t a cult at Maryland. Greek life only takes up a small 27 percent of the entire student population. If Greek life is something that interests you it’s a great opportunity to take this school and create a smaller community to be involved in. If Greek life doesn’t appeal to you, don’t worry. There are so many clubs, organizations and communities to get involved with across campus in order to find your home away from home at Maryland.

Pizza

You’ll never go home hungry after a night out. Go to any pizza place after 1am in College Park and I promise you they’ll be a long line of hungry students. There are so many different pizza options in such a small area it’s like a dream come true. Oh, and did I mention that some places have GIANT slices of pizza? (For a cheap price too!)

Location

Maryland’s proximity to DC is what intrigues a lot of people. UMD provides a traditional college campus; however it also provides city life in Washington D.C. The nation’s capital is just a short metro ride away with numerous activities if College Park ever becomes too overwhelming (I especially love the amazing restaurants). From an educational aspect, D.C. provides a plethora of opportunities for internships and jobs after graduation or during your time at UMD.

Lifelong friends

At any college you will eventually find lifelong friends, but it’s reassuring that I came to Maryland to find people I feel like I’ve known my life. I have met the most genuine and sincere people on this campus and they will forever be a part of me. College is a time to adventure, grow, and learn and with the help of the friends I’ve made along the way I know they’ll always be by my side.

University of Maryland