UMD’s new ‘Anytime Dining Plan’ might not be as good as it sounds

They’re getting rid of take-out

Maryland recently sent out an e-mail detailing the major changes that will be made to the resident dining plans in the coming academic year, which they are calling “Anytime Dining.”

“Effective this fall semester 2016, dining plans will provide unlimited access to three campus dining halls featuring MORE value, variety, and healthful choices,” said Colleen Wright Riva, UMD’s Director of Dining Services.

Sounds great right?

Maybe not.

The new dining plan will get rid of dining points and grant students unlimited access to the Diner, South Campus, and  251. Terp Bucks are being replaced with Dining Dollars, but they are essentially the same thing. The only difference is that Dining Dollars will now be accepted at Taco Bell, Auntie Anne’s, Sbarro, Subway, and Chick fil-A (bless).

Other changes don’t sound so appealing. First of all, the new base dining plan is already more expensive than the current traditional freshman dining plan. Student’s will have to use special passes to bring guests into the diners, and the base dining plan only comes with two a semester. In addition, Dining Dollars are not included in the base dining plan. This means that students will have to pay an extra $180 for a “base-plus” plan in order to get $200 Dining Dollars and four guest passes – which is still much less than we get with the current traditional plan.

Oh – and they’re getting rid of take-out.

Here’s what some Terps had to say about the new changes

Julia (left), Jory (right)

“I like that we don’t have a limit on how much we can eat but it sucks that we have to pay extra for Dining Dollars, especially since there’s no more take-out so I’ll probably be using the convenience stores whenever I want to grab something quick to eat.”

“With take-out gone I’m just imagining a lot of students choosing between awkwardly eating lunch alone or starving.”

Maddie

“My sister goes to school in DC and visits all the time and I usually just pay for her food at the Diner, but I don’t know what I’m gonna do with only a couple guest passes a semester.”

Brandon

“I go through dining points so quickly and always run out with like two weeks left in the semester, so this new anytime dining plan is gonna be a lifesaver.”

University of Maryland