Trump’s victory doesn’t give you a pass to be an asshole

Swastikas and flag-burning? C’mon, guys

People are gloating, crying, and becoming violent — it’s chaotic.

Our democratic system is about respect. It is not about bragging rights because your candidate won or blaming your friends for voting a certain party. It certainly isn’t about violence of any kind.

So don’t let Trump’s victory convince you that somehow you get a pass to be an ass.

People are scared

Let’s start with the biggest one. A small sect of Trump supporters are taking his victory as a pass to terrorize and other certain groups across the country. There have been reports of people getting their hijabs yanked off, being yelled at to “go back to Mexico,” racist graffiti covering the streets and even violent hate crimes across the country.Trump won the presidency and that is super exciting for us. That doesn’t mean we have a pass to be a dick to our Democrat friends or other people who are just trying to live their lives. I don’t think President Trump would want. It’s harassment, it’s wrong and it makes all Republicans look bad. While I’m just as excited for Trump as the next guy, let’s remember to be kind to our liberal friends — and everyone else for that matter.

People are angry

On the other side, the left is lashing out. People are severing friendships with one another, saying downright nasty things and even burning the American flag as an anti-Trump protest. Expressions and demonstrations of anger and solidarity are hallmarks of American democracy, but civility and peacefulness is key.

We must come together and move on peacefully

Let us not forget President Barack Obama’s words on the matter: “We have to remember that we’re actually all on one team. We’re not Democrats first, we’re not Republicans first, we are Americans first. We’re patriots first. We all want what’s best for this country.” 

It is our duty as Americans to respect and to follow what our current President has proposed to the nation. We need to follow his words and move on peacefully as the American people, as a whole.

I’ve consoled a lot of my Democrat friends who were bummed/scared about Clinton’s loss, and they in turn thanked me for talking with them and congratulated me on Trump’s win. We were there for each other. We were kind, mindful, and loving towards one another and this is what I so wish the outcome was post-election.

As someone who cares a tremendous amount about how others feel, I always keep in mind the ugly truth about why everyone is so upset and never forget it. I cannot tell people how to feel. People will riot, people will protest. It’s inevitable. But what I can say is I truly hope everyone values their personal relationships over political standpoint. I hope everyone values the meaning of their country. I hope everyone values each and every person in America as a human being, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, race, etc.

Going forward, I hope the negativity, harassment, bullying, and comments come to an end on all accounts. This, in turn, will help our country move forward.

Coming soon