Sorry, but ML is actually the best dorm at Swarthmore

Deep down, everyone wants to live in Mary Lyons

Because our college is literally smaller than some high schools, most students at Swarthmore live in residential housing.

Given its isolation, Mary Lyons is often labeled the “strange” dorm on campus, filled with people seen as too peculiar, even for a famously peculiar school. I can testify, though, that it’s actually the liveliest place to be at this liberal arts college just a short train ride from Philadelphia.

I lived in ML for my second year and can attest to its iconic status. My memories, and those of many others, speak for themselves.

Billiards and bourbon are everything

ML’ers love to play pool — whether they’re good or bad at it is fully irrelevant. At the end of the year, it’s not uncommon for friends to bring a bottle of sweet southern bourbon (is there any other kind?) to kill while dominating the pool table. With a belly fully of bourbon sloshing around, you’re guaranteed to miss last ball in the hole. But you’ll share a laugh over everyone’s mutual incompetence.

Shuttle rides — because walking is for peasants

Luckily, for those who want it (which is pretty much everyone), there’s a shuttle that can drop you off at ML without the bother of making the 15-minute trek on foot. It runs only in the mornings and evenings so you do have to wait for the ride, but it’s worth it especially on those cold, mid-Atlantic days. The drivers have dozens of stories as well.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournaments can get you through anything

Living in a basement can be tough, mostly because you’re, y’know, living in a basement. But when you have a Wii courtesy of generous dormmates, any and all discomfort is quickly forgotten. There’s nothing as relaxing as a gladiatorial game with Nintendo mascots. Trust me — as soon as exams swing around, the sight of Mario walloping Link with an uppercut will take a great deal of stress off your mind, even if you’re the one playing Link (like I was). ML has an incredible video game culture that can be made better or worse by BYOB-ing.

If you have to walk, at least there’s a view

Sometimes you miss the shuttle. Sometimes you want to walk. Either way, in cold or hot, you sometimes got to slog it. But it has perks. You can catch a game on the field, or a view of the Crum Woods, and with the sunset to complete the picture, it’s a great experience with your friends and makes for some interesting pictures. I’ve had and seen many a walk-and-talk debate while slogging through snow on my way back.

College cooking like you’ve never seen

Thanks to the many kitchens scattered throughout the dorm, college cooking goes to an entirely new level. With some friends on a spring night, I tried my hand at cooking some Indian food and it was a huge success . Also, on weekends, students themselves conduct a breakfast for the residents so that you don’t even have to bother going to campus for food.

Even uninvited guests bring us together

Of course there are cockroaches. It’s a college dorm. It’s old (but with renovations). It’s a building in a humid and temperate climate. By a deciduous forest. Of course there are cockroaches. Not unique but still totally unforgettable. Imagine having to crouch in an uncomfortable position, boot raised over your head, waiting for a critter to scuttle out from under your bookcase. Luckily, you’re not alone in your battles as there are many others here who are veterans fighting the big bug.

ML is a culture unto itself. If you’ve ever even stepped foot inside, you know just how great it is.

Coming soon