Struggles only Rollins students truly understand

Because we don’t actually go to school at a country club

With small schools, it’s inevitable that you either love it or you…tolerate it. Personally, I love it. What is not to love about Rollins? It’s located in Winter Park — one of the cutest towns ever — it rarely gets lower than 50 degrees, and Rollins consistently makes the list of most beautiful campuses since forever. Oh yeah, and “Sydney White” was filmed here and we all know that’s an iconic movie.

But still, there are certain struggles that every student faces or will face and they get pretty annoying after a while.

Parking is basically a horror movie

I mean, does it even exist? If you are commuting to school every morning and get to campus a minute later than 9AM, forget it. You stand no chance of finding a spot. You then probably turn to parking in the “garage” (ugh…such a dreaded word) but even the garage gets full somedays — and that’s when the panic sets in. Your class starts in 15 minutes and there is not a single. Place. To. Park. So you suffer an internal freak out. But then the weekdays turn into the weekend and parking finally exists again. What a great feeling.

Rollins is a “country club”

This may not seem like a struggle, but if you’re like me then you get defensive when people say you go to a country club school. I always feel the need to say “it’s not like that!” or something along those lines. But yes, we have a fake little beach that sits perfectly adjacent to a beautiful lake and tanning between classes seems like a rite of passage. But it’s still school. We still do work…but having a president who rides around on a little Vespa and having a perfectly cut lawn all the time isn’t a bad bonus.

The overwhelming amount of Lilly/Vineyard Vines

It takes me about five minutes to get from my dorm to my classes. In that short time frame, I’ve already passed a handful of students dressed preppy from head to toe. It’s honestly everywhere and you can’t escape it. But then again, you can’t escape the amount of Lululemon and trendy sportswear either. It’s not all bad though. Dressing in a “workout” outfit even when you have zero plans of working out is considered normal. I’ll go with it.

Having to walk from Sutton to Fairbanks

Why must all communication and business classes be located on the complete opposite side of campus? I mean this is a STRETCH. It’s the farthest walk on campus and it is draining let me tell you. If you have to make this walk, you have probably considered skipping class but thats not an option. You have debated calling campo and faking an injury to get a free ride, but that won’t work. The final solution is just to suck it up and walk there. At least you will feel accomplished after you do so!

The attendance policies

This is every student’s worst fear before signing up for classes each semester. You hope and pray that your new class will have a relaxed attendance policy. But does it? No. You dread looking at the syllabus because you see right there in fine print: Only two absences per semester. This is madness, honestly. You know before even starting the semester that you will be sick at least three times — hangover excluded– so you are already screwed. There is no hope.

But even with all the annoying struggles, you still love telling people you go to Rollins because nothing compares to it. And even with the endless homework and sleepless nights, you couldn’t imagine going to college anywhere else. Except for maybe an actual country club.

Coming soon