How to do Brooklyn like a local

An insider’s guide to everyone’s favorite borough

Brooklyn is a place some people never leave. While I recommend exploring the world, I can definitely understand the sentiment. Brooklyn in a little bit of everything and a little bit of everywhere. In Brooklyn, you could meet people from places you’ve never heard of and eat authentic food from places you never dreamed you would get to experience.

In Brooklyn, you can experience it all.

Feast your eyes

One of the best things about Brooklyn is the assortment of food offered. So many neighborhoods in Brooklyn represent a different culture, and in those neighborhoods you could find food that others have to travel the world for. Whether you want a traditional Senegalese meal or an Asian cuisine, Brooklyn is always striving to be the best.

Bro

A photo posted by Mysan (@my_lewis) on Oct 30, 2016 at 8:35am PDT

Downtown Brooklyn, upscale life

Downtown Brooklyn is where one goes roam around and look at old school Brooklyn. And by old school Brooklyn, I mean the brownstones and clean streets that’s always shown in the movies. This is where the people who are from Brooklyn like to stroll and wander around the homes of those rich enough to move to New York City and safely position themselves in the heights. While these strolls are gorgeous to look at, real Brooklynites keep always have this mantra running through their head, “They came here, but we were MADE here.”

Rainy days in Brooklyn. ? by @heydavina ・・・ #brooklyn #brooklynheights #willowplace

A photo posted by Brownstoner (@brownstoner) on Oct 27, 2016 at 3:57pm PDT

All white everything

When you’re a Brooklyn local, you start to learn about events that celebrate the uniqueness, diversity and inclusion. Some of these events include activities such as the yearly Popup dinner, where people from all social classes, and ethnic backgrounds have a picnic with friends while listening to good food. The ambiance is like walking into your favorite Pinterest board, you’ll wander around complimenting your other Brooklynites for their creative table decorations.

And finally, NYC! Cómo te he echado de menos! ??? #NewYorkCity #Williamsburg #EastCoast #RoadTrip

A photo posted by Jose Casado (@josecasado) on Oct 30, 2016 at 8:24am PDT

Sweet and simple…if you like that sort of thing

If hipster life is more your style, you can satisfy you cravings in Brooklyn — though the locals may not love you for it. There are coffee shops and organic restaurants popping up all over Brooklyn making it feel more like downtown Manhattan. Again, LOCALS WILL NOT LIKE YOU, but you’re a hipster so what do you care? Go to that overpriced coffee shop. It was made for you. No, seriously it was made for YOU. Buy all the organic apples you want; you’re welcome.

Perfect parks

Prospect Park. Need I say more? Fine, I’ll say more. This is the park where all your needs will be taken care of. Need to go for a run? We have the best scenery. Need a snack? We have honey roasted peanuts. Prospect Park does not have as much tourism as Central Park, and is not surrounded by skyscrapers making you feel like you’re at a park outside of a major city, where you can stroll and enjoy your day.

Hello Gorgeous #prospectpark #fall #brooklyn

A photo posted by Dani Martin (@danikmartini) on Oct 30, 2016 at 9:01am PDT

Museums

If you like to add a little education to your weekend activities then go to museum, Brooklyn has enough to keep you entertained for a while. If you have children or you’re around children often, then I would recommend the Brooklyn Children’s Museum for obvious reasons. If you’re seeking to learn about a culture that has had a huge impact on Brooklyn then I would recommend the Jewish Children’s Museum. Brooklyn gives their tourist and locals plenty of opportunities to learn about the boroughs journey through time, so take advantage of it.

The Brooklyn Museum

Yes, the Brooklyn Museum is a museum. No, it should not be placed with the section above, because the Brooklyn Museum deserves a section of its own. Whether you want to go for a child or just because you’re an adult who loves museums, the Brooklyn Museum should always be visited. This Museum has some of the most beautiful exhibits in the world. As a young girl, my mother and I would always go whenever a new exhibit was unveiled, exploring the new artifacts while still admiring all that we had seen before.

It's a beautiful day in #downtownbrooklyn! Thanks @sew.nyc for sharing this sweet view!

A photo posted by Downtown Brooklyn (@downtownbrooklyn) on Aug 19, 2016 at 8:53am PDT

Dirty BK

I know that I’ve made Brooklyn sound amazing (because it is) but remember every place has its ups and downs. If you love the idea of being in a big city, then Brooklyn is the place for you. But remember: where there are a lot of people, there are a lot of unpleasant smells. So if you have an extra sensitive nose, then consider what you’ll smell and touch during the warm months while taking the train to and from work, visiting friends or just running errands. Think about the catcalls on the street that I imagine you don’t experience in the suburbs. Think about getting trampled on the street because New Yorkers will not tolerate your slow “I’m in no rush” walk. You might get cursed out on the street. Think about the shoebox apartment you’ll have to live in because — and don’t cry — but Sex and the City was just a show. Think about the cost of transportation, housing, food, clothing, and all the Friday night drinks you’ll need as you think about housing, food, clothing etc.

Brooklyn is an experience that everyone should have because it will show you who you are and who you want to be. Remember, though: if you can’t take the heat, get out.

Coming soon