Wheeling, WV is truly America’s hidden gem

It’s the best place you’ve never heard of

Ask any West Virginian where Wheeling is, and they will make a fist and raise their index finger — or middle finger, depending on their mood — and tell you Wheeling is right at the finger’s middle joint.

Located an hour southwest of Pittsburgh, two hours east of Columbus and smack in the middle of the gorgeous Appalachian Mountains, Wheeling offers more than just an easy way to get from Ohio to Pennsylvania on a drive to the coast.

Back when my parents were kids, Wheeling was known for Mail Pouch Tobacco, La Belle Nails and nearby coal mines. It boasted a booming industry that attracted workers from beyond the tri-state region, but during my own childhood, I saw mom-and-pop shops close downtown in favor of corporate businesses being opened just out of city limits. Wheeling is in a transitory phase right now, and there are dozens of reasons why Mountaineers like me are lucky to call The Friendly City their hometown.

History without the tourism (and the lines!)

History buffs would love Wheeling if they knew about it. Fan of the Revolutionary War? Come see where Fort Henry once stood on the banks by the Ohio River. Interested in Native Americans? Come see Lewis Wetzel’s cave. How about Manifest Destiny? Swing by Elm Grove to see some landmarks Lewis and Clark wrote about on their journey West. Or maybe you prefer learning about the Civil War and more recent years? Come see our open-air market, built in 1853, and the Victorian-era buildings that stand beside it. Wheeling does not market itself as a tourist destination, so historians can visit all these amazing sites without waiting in a line.

The Italian Festival on Market Street

With so many Italian-Americans in Wheeling, we’ve got to celebrate! Every July, Heritage Port fills with accordion music and calzones as Italian-Americans and Wheeling residents celebrate family and culture with weekend-long festivities. The celebration always features a fireworks show that lights up the sky on the banks of the Ohio River.

…And then the Grecian Festival the Following Week!

The last weekend in July, the portion of Chapline Street just outside Saint John the Divine Greek Orthodox Church shuts down as cultural enthusiasts flock toward the church to get fresh lemonade and gyros. Guests who venture upstairs also have the option to purchase artwork and freshly made baklava, which is absolutely heavenly.

Railroad Walkways

Back in the 1800s, the B&O Railroad was one of the reasons Wheeling made it onto maps. These railroad tracks crisscrossed the city, but in the last few decades, they were transformed into walking trails. Visitors and locals alike can traverse the city, traveling alongside Big Wheeling Creek. If you’re lucky, you’ll even spy an old railroad tie buried in the grass.

The Ghost in Tunnel Green

Wheeling residents have all heard about the ghost in Tunnel Green, and stories regarding its origin vary. Tunnel Green was a tunnel the B&O Railroad would pass through on its travels westward, and most stories I have heard say a man was hit in the tunnels. His ghost is said to wander through the brick structure, and his spirit can be seen alongside faint sounds of a train whistle blowing.

A Custard Pączki During Lent

A pączki sounds like nothing more than a Polish doughnut, but, in reality, it is so much more. Deep-fried and covered in powdered sugar or a delicious glaze, these desserts were a staple in my household every year from Fat Tuesday until Easter. I prefer them to be filled with custard or red raspberry filling, but options also include flavors such as blueberry or lemon. Get them at Riesbeck’s in the Grove or, honestly, do not get them at all.

Oglebay’s Festival of Lights

Every November and December, guests can ride along West Virginia’s famous Country Roads around Oglebay Resort as they take in gorgeous light displays. Some exhibits change annually, but driving under the light bridge and following the “Twelve Days of Christmas” exhibit were always my favorites. To celebrate like a true Wheeling resident, be sure to grab a hot chocolate at the Sheetz in Woodsdale once you have finished.

While most people do not think of cultural activities or food fairs when they think of West Virginia, and many people do not even know Wheeling at all, I am so grateful to have grown up in the great Mountain State.

Coming soon