Your ultimate guide to hitchhiking

The best — and cheapest — way to travel

Traveling tops almost everyone’s bucket lists, but it can be expensive and difficult yo manage — particularly the transportation. Hitchhiking, though, is an inexpensive and totally unique way to get around.

Before deciding to hitchhike your way across a state or even a country, it’s crucial to research this costless method of travel. Here, you’ll find some insider tip to know before setting off on your adventure.

Lesson 1: Be ready for some conversation

If you think hitchhiking is an impersonal thing and that people will just let you ride with them without any kind of conversation, think again. Most people who will pick you up will be happy to (and maybe looking for) chat. And it won’t just be about the weather or road conditions.

Be prepared to hear many life stories, and to share yours too. You’ll be surprised by how many people will tell their secrets to you, probably because they know they will never see you again.

Lesson 2: Live day by day

When you’re hitchhiking, you can only count on it for a few miles. Soon you will have to leave the car and look for another ride to get you where you want to be. Even if you’re lucky enough to find a good soul who will take you directly to your final destination, there will always be another day and another destination.

The lesson here is that you need to learn to live one day per time, despite having an ultimate goal. It will make you more able to deal with small challenges without freaking out.

Lesson 3: Trust is the key

Hitchhiking is all about trust. You have to trust your gut so you can decide if you want to get into that car or not. Yo have to trust in the routes you take or the drivers who drive you. And life is no different.

We can think and analyze every single detail but at the end of the day, we have to make decisions purely based on trust now and then. It can be scary, but it also brings a lot of confidence every time that you get it right.

Lesson 4: Smile is your strongest weapon

Forget about wearing sexy clothes or carrying signs around make cars stop for you – and if you are a man, it probably won’t help you much. The secret to successful hitchhiking is in your smile. And it can also be your secret weapon in many other situations.

A friendly and honest smile can do wonders when it comes to making people trust in you and to feel comfortable while talking to you. They will see that you are happy and enjoying the conversation, what will boost their ego, and make them ready to hear you out.

Lesson 5: You can’t control everything

If you are the kind who needs to look control everything, you won’t be very successful in hitchhiking – nor in life. There are so many variables to deal with that would try exhausting to try and control it all.

You never know how life will unfold in front of you, who the people are who will become important to you and what your next challenge will be.

Lesson 6: People are usually very kind

Most of us live in fear of other people. We learn from childhood that we shouldn’t talk to strangers — though this is probably a good rule for kids to follow. But when you’re hitchhiking, you will have to forget all the childhood rules and do the exact opposite.

You will be happily surprised to find out that people on the road are usually very kind. Of course, you should be careful and keep yourself safe when asking for a ride. Feel secure in knowing that most horror stories you hear about hitchhiking are just that: stories. Embrace people’s kindness, but never take it for granted.

Lesson 7: Dress appropriately

Put on bright clothes that can be seen from far away. Try to shower at your next destination or at least pack yourself some roll-on deodorant to help keep the odor away. If you happen to be a woman, dress is durable and modest clothing. Just make a good first impression. You wouldn’t want someone to refer you as the “gross, sweaty person I picked up on my way north.” Finally, unless it’s very sunny, do away with the sunglasses.

Lesson 8: Look out for harsh weather

Inclement weather might disrupt your hitchhiking experience. On hot days, look for spots with shade, and the same goes for rainstorms. No matter how sorry the driver is for you, if you’re wet, they won’t be pleased with you soaking the inside of their. Storms do have an upside, though: you’ll get a ride within minutes. All in all, keep up with the meteorological guys for the latest weather news.

Hitchhiking is a cool way to travel and a worthy experience overall. Be ready with everything required to make the experience enjoyable. Just get out there and have some fun.

Coming soon