‘It was a panic reaction’: Villanova students respond to partial police force on campus

‘The only thing I see changing from the old public safety structure is students being cited for alcohol instead of written up’

The university’s public safety department’s transition into partial police force is well under way, and students seem to be warming up to the idea.  As the department implements 19 armed police officers into its unit, many Villanovans are coming to terms with the change.  Last year’s heated debate that radiated throughout campus has faded into a quiet acceptance, with just a few reservations.

Last October, several students and faculty members rallied together in peaceful protest of the transition while others praised the university’s announcement.  Some protestors argued that the decision conflicted with the Catholic values held by the institution.  Some invoked the notion that guns are not a solution to guns.

Still, others complained that they were disregarded in the decision-making process.  What resulted was a divided campus, one that reflected the tensions felt throughout the country regarding police in America.

It was the initial shock of the announcement and a feeling of exclusion from the decision-making process that first concerned students.

Computer Science student John Lim said: “It seems that the decision to have armed officers on this campus was a panic reaction to the spike in public shootings at the time.  I think the threat to our campus was the tipping point.”

John Lim, 21, Computer Science

And rightfully so.  Just weeks prior to the announcement, an online threat aimed at Philadelphia area colleges left students and parents terrified.  Several schools in the area cancelled classes and urged students to remain in their dorms, while Villanova students were left weighing the risks of going to school versus staying home.

A lack of information about the threat coupled with an absence of properly trained police officers on campus left students feeling wary about even making the short trek to their classes. At the time, the university’s public safety officers were unprepared to protect themselves, let alone a campus of 10,000 students.  Not only were they unarmed, but they were unequipped with the proper communication and transportation technologies necessary for rapid response.

Matt Trosset, a Finance and Economics major, said: “We’ve seen a disturbing increase in random acts of violence this past year, and prior to this change by the university, there was nothing in place to deter someone from doing harm to our campus and our community.”

Matt Trosset, 21, Finance and Economics

Equipped with lights and sirens and given the authority to stop and question individuals, Villanova officers will now have the power to respond to crises with the proper amount of urgency.  Some students find this improvement in resources more important than the fact that officers will be armed.

Mathematics student Erin McKevitt said that the public safety officers’, “day-to-day routines will not change if we arm them.  What will change is their ability to respond to a threatening situation more quickly and efficiently which would ultimately lead to a safer environment for all.”

Erin McKevitt, 21, Mathematics

Most students now seem to agree now that officers carrying guns aren’t necessarily threatening to students, as many argued last year.  But their power over alcohol violations is another issue.  Michael Molstad, an Economics and Political Science student said: “Whether or not public safety has guns is not the biggest issue…The biggest thing I think this will change is alcohol violations”.

Michael Molstad, 21, Political Science and Economics

“A police force may seem comforting, but in an area with so little crime the only thing I see changing from the old public safety structure is students being cited for alcohol instead of written up.  I fear we will begin to see more students forced to go to court for having alcohol in dorms instead of having to go visit the dean.”

It is a warranted concern, one that will mostly affect younger students living on campus who had no say in the decision-making process that led to this transition.

Finance, Economics, and International Business student Ryan Robinson said: “While I personally do not feel more threatened by the arming of public safety officers on our campus, I do respect the opinions of those concerned that the decision was made in haste.  I believe a lot of the frustration has to do with people being upset over not having their voices heard, and I hope that is something we can learn from going forward.”

Ryan Robinson, 21, Finance, Economics and International Business

Villanovans as a whole seem to understand the importance and the value of instating a police force on campus and have accepted the transition as inevitable.  What remains as the debate fizzles is less of a fiery disapproval and more of a concern for students who break the rules on campus.

A bit of concern, though, is a small price to pay for the safety of our campus going forward.

Coming soon