Class of 2016’s advice to freshmen at SUNY Oneonta

‘I promise it will all be worth it in the end’

Class of 2016 Advice Cover

Thousands of students donned in caps and gowns walked across the stage and turned their tassels as they received their diplomas at SUNY Oneonta’s commencement ceremonies on May 14. I reached out to several graduates to hear their advice for future Red Dragons. Congratulations class of 2016 and welcome class of 2020!

Joanna Chille, Lindenhurst, NY, Psychology major

“My advice to any incoming freshmen or transfers is to make a home for yourself here. And to do that, you’ve got to get involved! Teams, Greek organizations, clubs, intramurals, on-campus jobs, whatever it is, it’s the extracurriculars and the people you share them with that will make your college experience memorable. I’ve learned plenty in my classes, but some stuff just doesn’t come from a textbook. In every new thing I’ve taken on, I’ve learned something about myself: whether it be my strengths, weaknesses, ability, drive, you name it – there’s no substitute for personal experience.

“These experiences would also be much less fulfilling if they didn’t introduce me to incredible people along the way. You’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain when you take advantage of what college has to offer you. Study hard, but live harder! When you’re surrounded by the right people, anything is possible. As a recent graduate, I know I was motivated to spend hours in the library, pursue my passions, and learn what I was capable of because I was constantly surrounded by love and encouragement. Make the most of your time in college – it goes too fast!”

Adjani Reed, East Elmhurst, Queens, NY, Music Industry major with Event Planning and Business Communications minors

“I’m never sure if I agree with the statement, ‘College is the best four years of your life.’ College is one of those vital life experiences where you will be forced to get out of your comfort zone all the time. Embrace that discomfort as much as possible. If you’re comfortable throughout your time as an undergraduate, you’re doing college wrong.”

Sara Bonadies, Chappaqua, NY, Mass Communications major, Production concentration

“To incoming freshmen, when it comes to your schedule, chances are you won’t be able to get into any classes in your major. If that is the case, don’t freak out, you have four years. Finish your gen-ed requirements first and don’t be afraid to take some creative and fun classes along the way. When it comes to move-in day, don’t be afraid to go down the hall, knock on a few doors, and get to know your neighbors. Everyone is in the same boat, and some of my closest friends I met the first day of freshman year! Another piece of advice I would give to freshmen would be to definitely get involved. There are tons of fun and amazing organizations out there. Sign up for a few, and see where you belong.

“During my time at SUNY Oneonta I was in a sorority, on an intramural soccer team, President of the college television station, Treasurer of Film club, and a member of the Communication Arts Honor society. I never expected to get so involved coming into college and I’m so glad I did. Through belonging to a club or organization you can gain experience, make memories and build lifelong friendships. Lastly, enjoy your time at college. Don’t sweat the small stuff, be yourself, and don’t be afraid to try new things. College is a time to find yourself, embrace who you are and those who love you because of it. Four years go by way too quickly, so stay out late, spend time with your friends, study hard, make mistakes and learn from them – I promise it will all be worth it in the end.”

Nicole Schaal, Farmingdale, NY, Music Industry major

“First and foremost follow your passion no matter what people say and believe in it. I have always wanted to work in music. I worked at WONY 90.9 fm at SUNY Oneonta and now thanks to believing in it and dedicating time it helped me to get internships and hopefully in the near future a job. Then second is to step out of your comfort zone. I wouldn’t be the person I am or meet half the people I met if I didn’t try new things and step out of my comfort zone. College is short so make every second worth it.”

Brendan Day, North Massapequa, NY, Mass Communications major with Film and Theatre minors

“Try new things, try something you always wanted to but never had the chance because you felt embarrassed or nervous in high school. In college you can redefine yourself and become who you want to be and become the person you always were. Do not pretend to be something you are not, it won’t last and it will feel like a waste of time. Be friendly too, everyone wants to meet each other and being nice goes a long way.”

Elizabeth Hill, Johnsonville, NY, Mass Communications major, Production concentration

“Don’t try and accomplish everything in one year. You have four years to spend with friends, four years to achieve the deans list, four years to join the sports team, or make the acapella group. Don’t spread yourself thin but don’t let one thing monopolize your whole college career. Find a happy medium and work on perfecting your time management skills. Time management is something that will help you thrive longer be after you pass back through those brick pillars. But above all keep your head up and never stop laughing!”

Coming soon