What are your best and worst experiences with professors?

In college, it’s not always smiley faces and gold star stickers

As a college junior, I’ve been through it all when it comes to the quality of professors — and I’m definitely not alone. The older you get, the more likely it is that you’ve experienced some awesome professors — like the ones who let you eat in class — as well as some downright awful ones — like those who take their sweet time responding to emails.

We spoke to students to hear the stories of  their best and worst experiences with professors. No matter where you go to school, these will definitely ring true.

Megan Garofalo, Junior, Media Studies

“I have had one or two professors within my major who have really taken an interest in my personal work in addition to my school work. They often ask me what projects I have been working on recently and offer to give me feedback at my leisure.”

Katie Adams, Junior, Sociology Major & 5 Year Elementary Education Program

“We all like the professor that is funny and relatable, but the type of professor I respect the most and have the biggest impact on me are the ones who take no B.S. from me and push me to be the best student and caffeine-addicted human possible.”

Erica Osowiski, Junior, International Studies/Politics

“I had a professor last semester who took us to the Museum of Sex, encouraged us to talk about genitals in class and there was no filter on topics. For an Irish Catholic girl, this was every stage of awkward!”

Michelle Capozza, Junior, Communications

“The best experience I’ve had with a professor would be during my psych common core class. Her teaching style engaged her students to participate and share their opinions. She didn’t make us do any tests or quizzes but had us write papers on topics that were relatable to our everyday lives. It was easy for me to express my interests and concerns through her paper topics.”

Sebastian Tate, Junior, General Studies

“I wasn’t sure I was going to like my Comp 2 professor at first. She was very blunt when it came to criticizing our papers. She would literally say, “This is shit, go fix it.” By the end of the semester I realized she helped me out by not babying my work and I actually benefited from it greatly.”

Matthew Sigler, Junior, English & Computer Science Double Major

“My worst memory is when I was doing a presentation for one of my classes. In the middle of it, my teacher asked me if I demonize things we don’t understand because I was talking about religion, and I was so surprised I couldn’t answer right away. Towards the end of the class, my professor and I got into an argument about Roman history and what happened and didn’t happen, and he told me I am a part of an incorrect teaching of Roman history.”

Sarah Sullivan, Sophomore, Psychology Major & Music Minor

“My Art of Thinking professor last year literally admitted to us he had no idea what he was teaching us. He was like this scrawny early-thirties nerd guy who, let’s be real, probably still lived with his mom and he wore sweater vests all the time!”

Joseph Santiago, Sophomore, Undeclared

“I’ve had an amazing experience with David Spring, my professor for A&P 1. He is very understanding and has literally offered me a ride home when he saw me out in the cold one night when I was waiting for my ride. He makes me like a valued student and always makes me feel welcome to speak in his class.”

Jake Adinolfi, Junior, Computer Science

“I’m a strong believer that a great professor can make even the most boring and dreary class transform into a captivating and mentally engaging course. Unfortunately, my Organizational Management professor managed to make a bad class so, so much worse. One experience I remember fondly was when I walked into class and the professor was sitting down at the podium at the front of the classroom. This was a 3 hour class, and not once did he get up from his desk. It was 3 hours of nothing but a plain white PowerPoint and a monotone, quiet, unenthused speaking voice. I was so emotionally and mentally disengaged that I don’t remember a single thing he said. Paying out of pocket for school, that was not the level of education I deserved or expected. Tenure: Not even once.”

Paula Traver, Junior, Criminal Justice & Psychology Double Major

“When I was thinking of transferring, the main thing keeping me at my school was the fact that I was involved with SHU Love (campus choir) and had someone as great as Galen Tate as my director. Galen challenged us with hard music, but his talent and jokes always helped to make our choir prosper until we nailed every single song.”

Coming soon