We asked JMU students what they actually think about Trump’s immigration ban

‘I fear mainly for my safety, and don’t know how people will react if they knew’

In the recent rapid fire of executive orders, President Donald J. Trump has issued a temporary ban on people coming from seven predominantly Muslim countries. Many permanent residents are stuck abroad, many students are stuck away from school, and many of those who are in need will have to wait even longer to take refuge in the United States (if they ever can).

While it is debated if this is a “Muslim ban” or not, it is clear that the community most affected by this executive order is the Muslim community. We asked Muslim students at JMU what their thoughts were on the ban.

Abe Rahim, Junior 

Are you at all affected by the ban, or do you know anyone that is?

I’m part of a similar group to MSA (Muslim Student Association) in Charlottesville. I know someone who’s Mom went to Iraq and is a green card holder. She left a week before this happened, and now she’s stuck there.

What are your thoughts on the ban? Do you think that it’ll accomplish anything, good or bad?

It’s a really premature and naive decision by the leader of the free world. [But it’s going to bring] this country closer together; it’s an executive order, and it’s not what Americans stand for. It has caused people to show up and support each other and acknowledge the fact that our society is built upon a diverse group of individuals. It’s going to cause a pos thing in the long run.

Did you read JMU’s statement on the ban? What did you think of it?

It’s exactly the way I’d like JMU to react. It goes to show a lot of people are against it. I wasn’t surprised, it’s exactly what I expected JMU to say.

Will this ban affect how you practice your religion, and live your day to day life?

Absolutely not. You believe what you believe, tests like this is not going to change who we are.

Sophomore (anonymous)

I’m affected because my friends are affected. A lot of them are international students who are now stuck abroad, even though they’re still studying here.

I am very much confused by the ban, because I feel as though it’s predominantly targeting people based on religion. I’m confused by that because I don’t understand how that’s allowed.

I was very surprised by JMU’s statement by the ban, but I also felt comforted. I didn’t expect a stance, but I’m glad they [took the one they did].

I don’t talk about my religion, and when people ask, sometimes I even lie. I fear mainly for my safety, and don’t know how people will react if they knew.

Najeeha Khan, Senior

I’m not personally affected, but my grandmother is kind of affected. We’ve been wanting to bring her here, but she’s from Pakistan. Even though Pakistan is not from the list, anything could happen and it feels like this ban could be extended to other countries.

I don’t think it’s going to accomplish anything, at least the goals that have been put into the executive order. I don’t believe it’s achieving anything good. It’s [only] isolating people.

I did. I think that this message is a little more reassuring than previous messages have been. I know that the Office of Int’l Programs has reached out to students that have been affected, and it’s reassuring to know there is a specific office thats going to be dealing with this and they’re in solidarity with students.

No. I’m going to stay an unapologetic Muslim.

James Madison University