Things only JMU students will understand

The smell of dog food holds a special place in our hearts

Just as every college or university has their own kinks, so does JMU. Although it may seem like a typical college campus to the drivers passing by, JMU has many distinguishing traditions, legends and quirks to which only its students can relate.

Stealing Quad bricks

What began as one person’s simple idea has evolved into a school-wide tradition to snag a loose brick from the Quad before graduating. Over the years, staff members have implemented multiple strategies to prevent students from stealing bricks, but the tradition continues to live on.

What’s that smell?

Perhaps other campuses have similar traditions and legends, but nobody other than JMU students understands the distinctive smell of what seems to be dog food as they walk outside their doors. This unusual outdoor odor only intensifies when it rains. Although the mysterious smell has been traced from the Harrisonburg Poultry Farm, students still wince at the unusual aroma that permeates the air throughout campus.

Quad tunnels

While sometimes the quad tunnels linger as a myth amongst incoming students and people outside of the community, JMU upperclassmen will be the first to assure them that they are, in fact, real. Long, narrow tunnels with walls covered with hundreds of signatures from former and current students stretch beneath the Quad’s surface. Although the Quad tunnels are restricted to staff members, students are sometimes able to slip past the unlocked door.

Jimmy Madison’s Height

A fun fact JMU students discover when the begin attending is the truth about James Madison’s height. Most people commonly misconceive his height to be that of a modern average male’s height. Yet, he actually only stood to be 5’4. Main Campus holds a life-size statue of James Maddy where students can see for themselves.

‘Poop’ Hall

On JMU’s Main Campus rests the non-Bluestone building, Roop Hall. How long the name actually stays “Roop,” though, is debatable. More often than not, students scratch off the leg of the R so the sign comically reads “Poop Hall.” This trick is mostly for entertainment but is also motivated by the idea that Roop’s third floor bathroom is a great pooping spot. Faculty and staff have taken precautions such as replacing the sign’s title with plastic letters to prevent students from simply scratching it off. Apparently, that did not stop students from defaming the sign, thus, JMU’s faculty has covered the letters with a thin sheet of plastic. Perhaps we will see how students creatively overcome their newest barrier.

Trains

Unlike most students’ excuse of oversleeping, JMU’s students have a unique excuse for being late to class: trains. JMU’s campus has train tracks that divides frequently used crossings students use to walk to class. All students who have been caught at the trains’ passings can relate to the dreaded feeling of just missing the opportunity to jump across the tracks before the gates lower.

D-Hub Dash

Regardless of the name “D-Hall” or “D-Hub,” it is the same food that bears the same affects. Students who have had the pleasure of eating at this dining hall can fully expect to be dashing to the restroom 20 minutes later, or if you are special, mid-meal. D-Hub may or may not be a campus favorite depending on your taste, but you can guarantee you will be leaving with the runs.

James Madison University