The best places to eat in Harrisonburg, Va

Four words: mac n’ cheese burger

If you’re looking for a poppin’ club to go out and dance the night away, you may not find it in here. But if you want a great place to eat, Harrisonburg has got you covered. With hundreds of restaurants available at your fingertips, it’s not hard to find a good place to eat. Here are some of the best restaurants rated by yours truly and JMU students (because we are all certified food critics and know what’s up).

Jack Browns

For a fun bar scene and a fantastic burger, this is the place to go. On any given weekend night, the line to get a table is out the door for one reason: because it’s so good! This restaurant features American classics with a twist. Some unique burgers include: the Greg Brady, topped with house made mac n’ cheese, the Shocker, which has jalapeños, habaneros, Pepper jack cheese and shocker sauce, and The Elvis, smothered with peanut butter, mayo, Applewood smoked bacon and cheese.

Sign outside Jack Browns

Billy Jack’s

Just two doors down from the amazing Jack Browns is the equally amazing Billy Jack’s. This is a good place to have a drink and eat some wings tossed in their delectable homemade sauce. With everything from burgers, to oysters, to chicken & waffles, Billy Jack’s has it all.

Clementine

Not only is the food delicious, but the atmosphere has that cool vibe that will definitely make you feel like a hipster. Live bands perform as you munch on your favorite burger, sandwich, salad or whatever else your heart desires. Personally, I love the homemade chips – they have the perfect combination of crispy saltiness.

Mr. J’s Bagels and Deli

With the destruction of D-Hall, so went our beloved Einstein’s along with it. But fear not, Mr. J’s is just a few minutes from campus to fulfill your every bagel need. This little deli originated in Harrisonburg in 1990 and has stolen the heart of every resident with its breakfast foods such as omelets, biscuits and of course, amazing bagels.

Taste of Thai

When you’re looking for a good, authentic Asian restaurant, head to Taste of Thai for a savory meal. They’ve got everything you crave, including classics like Pad Thai and Red Curry, as well as the Chef’s Special Chicken.

Bella Luna Wood-Fired Pizza

Everyone needs a little Italian every now and then, and Bella Luna is the perfect place to go.  The tasty thin crust pizza and freshly cooked pasta are made with ingredients from family farms in the Shenandoah Valley and Central Virginia.  Go for Brunch, lunch, dinner or whatever suits ya – its all delicious!

Jimmy Madison’s

This two-level restaurant has a refreshing menu and décor, featuring amazing southern style food. They’re known for their Jimmy Sprouts, which are caramelized Brussels sprouts sautéed with pecans, bacon and honey thyme vinaigrette. Each night live performers provide soulful music, with everything from country to jazz.

Kline’s Ice Cream

After you’ve finished your meal at one of the many fine restaurants listed above, it’s time for some dessert. Kline’s has arguably the best ice cream in Harrisonburg (and the world) with its signature flavors to satisfy every taste bud. It’s the best place to get a great ice cream cone and unwind from the day with some friends, or get the night started – either way ice cream is involved so it’s always a good choice.

James Madison University